Heavy Metal Toxicity / Aftercare

rosietpoes

Sep 30, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure, Parakeets
Hello,

I just made an account here the other day to discuss my conure who got sick from eating toxic metal. Sheā€™s doing great today and the vet thinks she is okay to come home, but they are also prescribing her medicine injections for 2 weeks after we get her.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with injections in birds? Where does one usually do it? Is it difficult?

Iā€™ve never had to inject anyone with anything so Iā€™m not sure what to expect. Vet seems to want her to come home though.

Hello,

I just made an account here the other day to discuss my conure who got sick from eating toxic metal. Sheā€™s doing great today and the vet thinks she is okay to come home, but they are also prescribing her medicine injections for 2 weeks after we get her.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with injections in birds? Where does one usually do it? Is it difficult?

Iā€™ve never had to inject anyone with anything so Iā€™m not sure what to expect. Vet seems to want her to come home though.
Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined us! I'm so happy your baby will be okay.
Please ask those questions to your vet before you take her home if they don't cover it. They should show you and tell you everything you need to know to give your bird the injection correctly and safely.

I would under no circumstances administer an injection to anything or anybody. Clarify with the vet who they expect to administer this injection. If they say you - look for another vet!!!! ASAP!

When my cockatiel underwent chelation treatment for heavy metal poisoning some years ago they did not release her for 3 days after she was admitted, and they certainly did not require me to administer more medication, not by injection or any other means. I am in full agreement with @wrench13, and Iā€™m so sorry youā€™re going through this!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back