Has anyone turned to taxidermy after their bird has passed?

May 26, 2024
Mead, Oklahoma
Parrots
I have a 4-year-old male green cheek conure named IguazĆŗ.

Iā€™ve had 1 other green cheek conure and TONS of budgies over the years.
I had my last conure cremated. I was not happy with that decision after I received her remains. Her ashes weighed more than she did in life, so thereā€™s no telling how much of her I actually have, if any. They also plucked some of her feathers for me to keep, but her tail feathers were too long. They cut her beautiful red feathers in half just to get them to fit into the little plastic bag. I was mortified. Itā€™s been years since her passing and my blood still boils just thinking about it.

Iā€™m not a fan of burials, either, so I was wondering if anyone here has gotten their birds taxidermied instead? Iā€™m not finding many examples online of conures or other exotic birds that were posed in a way that doesnā€™t look like they were hunted and shot out of the sky. All of the taxidermists in our area deal with wild game, not our beloved feathered companions. Itā€™s depressing, but I canā€™t fathom the thought of my bird in the ground.

I completely empathize with your dilemma as I have also been through this thought processā€¦ I adopted a senior Caique from an elderly friend of mine years ago. When she surrendered him to me she requested him back when he died so she could have him ā€œpreservedā€. When that dreadful day came, her whole family talked her out of it because they had thought about it enough to let him go. In the end, the acceptance was that our little buddy could not be preserved in a shell that would not be the same; only a reminder of the pain. Every one of us, given enough time reminiscing beautiful memories, photos, videos and precious time spent together was healing enough. I hope that helps. šŸ’›, Lou

I did this to my partner of thirty years and our relationship has never been better!

Last edited:
I completely empathize with your dilemma as I have also been through this thought processā€¦ I adopted a senior Caique from an elderly friend of mine years ago. When she surrendered him to me she requested him back when he died so she could have him ā€œpreservedā€. When that dreadful day came, her whole family talked her out of it because they had thought about it enough to let him go. In the end, the acceptance was that our little buddy could not be preserved in a shell that would not be the same; only a reminder of the pain. Every one of us, given enough time reminiscing beautiful memories, photos, videos and precious time spent together was healing enough. I hope that helps. šŸ’›, Lou
Well, Iā€™m also interested in having him taxidermied for educational purposes. I have always had a special interest in birds. When I was younger, Iā€™d fixate on their anatomy and genetics. I was always doing research and writing educational blogs for fun. I think it would be cool to have him displayed in a little glass case with labels and fun facts like youā€™d find in a museum, but I figure most people would find that weirdā€¦

But anyway, donating him is another option. The Museum of Osteology in Oklahoma City accepts donations. They currently have the skeleton of a bird on display that was mislabeled as a green-cheeked conure, so Iā€™ve been thinking of informing them and donating my boy in hopes that they make use of him. Theyā€™d do a much better job preserving him, I feel. I just donā€™t know.

Iā€™m not against taxidermy per se, just against using it on a friend.

I lost a bird to illness that I had since he still needed formula and for 27 years after that. I was very bonded to him and at the time I was sure it was impossible I would ever have that kind of relationship again. I used cremation, same as I will use on myself. I didnā€™t want the ashes - my feelings about death markers is that they are the opposite of consoling for me. I donā€™t want one for myself either. The ashes were deposited in a beautiful place. But I did ask for his band to be returned to me, so I have that on a little chain. Maybe in a few more years I will be able to get something more wholesome out of looking at it, but not yet.

Iā€™m not against taxidermy per se, just against using it on a friend.

I lost a bird to illness that I had since he still needed formula and for 27 years after that. I was very bonded to him and at the time I was sure it was impossible I would ever have that kind of relationship again. I used cremation, same as I will use on myself. I didnā€™t want the ashes - my feelings about death markers is that they are the opposite of consoling for me. I donā€™t want one for myself either. The ashes were deposited in a beautiful place. But I did ask for his band to be returned to me, so I have that on a little chain. Maybe in a few more years I will be able to get something more wholesome out of looking at it, but not yet.
See, I completely understand. Iā€™m feeling somewhat similar about it. The taxidermist started talking about poses and how I want him mounted, but I completely lost it. I just donā€™t know what else to do. My cremation experience was so horrible. I donā€™t have a place to bury him here. Heā€™s been wrapped up in my deep freezer for about a week now. I just to cry.

If my first experience hadnā€™t been so traumatic, Iā€™d probably be open to cremation this time around. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m looking into something else. As of currently, I reside in an RV. I donā€™t want to bury him here, because our RV life is only temporary. Iā€™d want to visit where I bury him.

See, I completely understand. Iā€™m feeling somewhat similar about it. The taxidermist started talking about poses and how I want him mounted, but I completely lost it. I just donā€™t know what else to do. My cremation experience was so horrible. I donā€™t have a place to bury him here. Heā€™s been wrapped up in my deep freezer for about a week now. I just to cry.

If my first experience hadnā€™t been so traumatic, Iā€™d probably be open to cremation this time around. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m looking into something else. As of currently, I reside in an RV. I donā€™t want to bury him here, because our RV life is only temporary. Iā€™d want to visit where I bury him.

I think maybe it is one of those experience in life that is going to be horrible no matter what you do, at least in the short term. Iā€™m not sure there is a way to fix it.

When my Bubbles, a B&G Macaw, died, the people I had gotten a Cockatiel from did taxidermy and I had them do it. He sat on my dresser for many, many years but then I started having nighmares about him and knew it was not good that he was in the bedroom. Since I don't touch dead things, I waited until my sister came to town (she was a Respiratory Therapist and dealt with dead bodies) so she wrapped Bubbles in that shipping wrapping and lots of packing peanuts and was put in a large Rubbermaid container and sat on a shelf in the basement. Many years later I started thinking of when I am dead like a door nail and my daughter would have to deal with the closing of the house, that would freak her out and...... I had contacted the Chicago Field Museum and they accepted him. I had to give a history of when/where I got him. I don't know if he was put in a display or what as I have never gone back. Bubbles died in '73

I have a Friend who's Blue and Gold Died . He got it done , may have been Freeze Dried , I don't know if he was stuffed or not . But my friend said the Guy didn't know anything about Blue and Golds and got the colors wrong and the Black streaks on face wrong . He was Not happy with the Results .

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back