Green cheek Conure Bonding

lb_cake

Oct 17, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hello! We have a wonderful little green cheek conure who is very social but will only let me touch it. The bird was actually supposed to be our daughters but alas it prefers me lol! My daughter is upset that our conure won't let her touch it or come to her when it's in the cage. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20240728_072749.jpg
    IMG_20240728_072749.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 3
Hello! We have a wonderful little green cheek conure who is very social but will only let me touch it. The bird was actually supposed to be our daughters but alas it prefers me lol! My daughter is upset that our conure won't let her touch it or come to her when it's in the cage. Any suggestions?
I'm sure you've done this already, but have you picked up the conure and have your daughter next to you and hand him off? Is the conure always in the cage when she tries to pick him up? If so, let him come out of the cage on his own and have her try then. Birds can be defensive in their cage and refuse a hand coming towards them in their home.

Sometimes when a bird bonds with someone, there are times they refuse other people. I have not had that experience though. Usually they bond with someone and are friendly with other people.

Then again, try patience. Don't force it. Think of it like this. Would you want to be placed with someone you don't know and told ... Be friends right now. Honestly, I really think time will be your ally here.

I guess more info is needed. Is it from a pet store? Private owner? Any critical past history?

I meant this to be a short reply. Lol sorry

get a strawberry, take a bite, tell conure it can't have, bird somehow gets bite of strawberry, pass off strawberry to daughter......

Unfortunately this happens sometimes. My own 'zon Salty was hand fed by my son, no problems, then when he moved out, he became the MOST HATED PERSON! Letting your daughter provide the most favored treat, exclusively, may help, over time. Lots of time. Lots of sitting next to cage and talking with the bird. Not going to change overnight.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back