Good news! Birdell home safe and sound

[
I always feel a terrible amount of guilt and procrastinate about doing it, BUT Kiwi loves being outdoors and a harness isn't going to happen. Not to mention, he has never flown, has no concept of flight, so he knows no different:31: I would feel more guilty if for whatever reason he got loose and I couldn't recover him. I clip him enough that he can't get lift (and yes, I know there's always a risk, but I also know my bird and find that risk to be negligible with him).

Exactly.

I've decided to leave Maggie and Sally flighted. The rest I keep clipped...

But I could never take "outside" or "tree time" away from them.

There are risks involved, but leaving them inside to rot is also a risk - that they won't have the quality of life they deserve.

I agree...My birds love outside time. We have an all season porch with wrap around windows/ screens, and they just love it. Plus we have a 12 X 12 completely screened Gazebo with perches and toys hanging from rafters..they love the crap out of that.

My mistake yesterday was I had Birdell on my shoulder, never flies, nothing scares her, well almost nothing. I went to move a potted 7 foot apple tree out of garage to get ready to plant it and it startled birdell and off she went....stupid mistake. Things like that, or large stick or broom startles her and I completely forgot that, I shouldn't try doing outdoor tasks with a bird on my shoulder.

She rides in truck all the time, goes to the hardware store with me where she is always greeted and the local cop always says high to her, goes to gas station and has a treat waiting from the people who own store, So, it was quite a surprise when she went off and flew nearly a quarter mile away. Found her finally about 1400 feet from house.

Sleeping like the dead right now...had to have been a rough night. But you know, the thing that helped me spot her was a ruckus blue jay. Blue Jays and red-winged black birds will alert you to a strange bird. It worked.

Fantastic news for all of you!!!
Made my morning:)

It made my day...took the advice of a former Avian vet....look for a rukus blue jay or Red-winged black bird and you'll find your bird.....sure enough there was a blue jay making Rukus and there was Birdell...Climbed the Pine and got her down, a bit cut up and scrathed up I am from the pines but worth it. At nearly 58 climbing trees I realized I can't do that as well as a 20-30 yr old....lol. But I wasn't leaving my bird, no way no how.
A great ending indeed... Especially with the amount of hawks around here, one slammed a sparrow in front yard this morning and had me concerned.

I'm really happy for you and Birdell both, Michael! It's an awful feeling to lose your bird and I'm so glad you were spared that pain.

You mentioned clipping, earlier, but have you considered harness training your birds? Just a thought.

Congratulations again on recovering Birdell. We're all here celebrating with you!

I'm really happy for you and Birdell both, Michael! It's an awful feeling to lose your bird and I'm so glad you were spared that pain.

You mentioned clipping, earlier, but have you considered harness training your birds? Just a thought.

Congratulations again on recovering Birdell. We're all here celebrating with you!

I will be looking into that as birdell is very flexible and tolerant in touching anywhere on her, especially under her wings, loves to have an under the wing rub, so it may be an option to try a flight harness. She has lovely wings and really hate to clip them. None of my birds are clipped. Appart from Vinney that was from a bad home and they did a real clumsy
job. Poppie would ear one, greyson would have a fit however. Bought one for him, but ended up returning it as he just would not have any part of the harness.

Harnesses do scare me because I know a person personally that tried a harness and their bird went straight up into a tall maple tree and wrapped around the branch...poor thing was hanging upside
down all tangled up in it. There was no way to get it down. 7 hours later they were finally able to get a lift truck with a basket high enough to get it. It was a horrible 7 hours of waiting for the lift truck and watching a tangled bird...

That's the part that scares me and every vet I know recommends against the use of a harness. They claim they see way too many injured birds from harnesses.

Last edited:
I'm thrilled to see this update!! :D. Wow, and that's amazing about the blue jays, I've never heard of that.. Sounds like an "old wives tale" but it's true! So happy for your family and little Birdell! Have a wonderful day :)

Oh thank goodness! I am so relieved! I'm sure she is so happy to be home! Fwew!

Oh thank goodness! I am so relieved! I'm sure she is so happy to be home! Fwew!

Been sleeping for some time now...must have been a terrifying nite for her.

Happy Days! Welcome Home, Ms. Birdell. Your parents are overjoyed and so is your forum family.

This is great news!

Can I ask, did she fly to you when you got close or did you have to grab her off the branch?

Ooh thank goodness! Welcome home Birdell!!!

This is great news!

Can I ask, did she fly to you when you got close or did you have to grab her off the branch?

I Climbed the pine and she stepped up to my hand, then onto my shoulder.

Was worth the rescue.

Fantastic! Glad to hear Birdell was rescued quickly!!

Thanks Scott, Birdell endured 26 hours by herself, and overnight in 36-38 degree temps, hawks and owls, and the Blue jays....she's been sleeping most the day as it must have been traumatic for her. But I never gave up my search.

Michael, this is the best possible news! So happy for you, your wife, and Birdell!

Birdell, I'm glad you've returned safely from your adventure! Lots of people were helping your parronts worry! We're so glad to have you home.

Michael, this is the best possible news! So happy for you, your wife, and Birdell!

Birdell, I'm glad you've returned safely from your adventure! Lots of people were helping your parronts worry! We're so glad to have you home.

Thanks....I good friend and former Avian vet told me as well that it's good because the national average of getting a lost bird back is only 34 %.

The other 66 % never are seen again, attacked by predators, starve, or fall victim to the elements of the weather and fatigue/ stress. So I m lucky.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back