Gilbert seems fine after being hit with a hoola hoop

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I use a weighted hoop during tv shows, so i basically get a 'passive workout' while just relaxing in front of the tv. Gilbert normally just flies around the room and will often land on my shoulder or hand while i do it. Last night, he suddenly swooped down, got hit with the hoop while i had it moving pretty fast and it threw him across the room. I was so upset. I ran in a panic to pick him up (he was on the floor, startled). Anyhow, I think i must have scared him with how upset i was, because he started breathing heavily as i freaked out, so i calmed myself down and he just started cheerfully talking like usual. I watched him closely for the rest of the night and this morning, and he seems absolutely fine. We are lucky.

I know it isn't a smart thing to have him out while i'm hooping, but since i do it when i finally get home from work, i just don't want him to have to stay caged. Normally I watch him more closely I suppose, but i was kind of engrossed in the show and didn't pay any attention to where he was flying. :( I am SO RELIEVED he is ok.

:eek: YIKES!!! So very happy that Gil didn't get hurt.

You probably scared the bejesus out of him when you were hyperventilating, worried he was injured.

NAAWWW...hugs to the both of you!!! :)

Aww He sounds like he just got scared. Meiko got flung from the dog when he jumped on her back he flew across the room! He was fine when I picked him up, so I didn't really worry

What is it with this month? There are so many unfortunate incidents with the birds in this forum (my bird included).

I am so glad Gilbert is okay!!! I hope you start feeling better too. It was an accident. I'm glad it was not anything serious.

Not to make light of the situation, but this has to be one of the most unique accidents I've heard! Collision with a hoola hoop!

Lol, I know! Sounds silly but those weighted hoops get moving pretty good. He was fine but tonight I put him in the cage when the hoop came out. :)

oh my god, poor gilbert! i know i shouldnt be laughing but i just have to giggle. birds are so sweet and innocent! he wouldnt know how hard it would hit him.i would like to know what he was thinking when he got hit. probably "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED!!??! WHAT HAPPENED TO ME, WHY AM I ON THE FLOOR!??" lol! im so sorry for laughing.:D he is just so adorable and cute.

So glad Gilbert is okay. Sounds like he got the wind knocked out of him for a moment and was startled til he figured out he was okay. Maybe he was trying to land on the hoop.

oh wow, that must have been kind of scary!

gosh, you just never know, I wonder if he's afraid of the hoola hoop now?

he must be a tough bird getting hit by one of those heavy hoops, and coming out ok....good for him!....and you!

I thought he would be afraid of the hoop, but he didn't seem to be, nor do I think he knows better now. That's why I am being extra cautious when I have it in use now! It is a pretty blue and who knows if it looked fun to him and he suddenly decided to land on it or something. He has become more of a confident dare devil lately. Lol

So glad Gilbert is OK! My two are scared to death of my hula hoops. When I bring them out to start hooping, they sit on their manzanita play area, and just stare at me like little statues. :52:

Birds are so fragile, I'm constantly afraid of accidentally hurting them! :eek:

Most Reactions

Back