Getting a GCC friday, some questions

Akuma223

Jan 27, 2013
North Florida
Parrots
1 white and grey parakeet, and a pinapple GCC as of 7/27/2018
I'm getting a handfed GCC from a breeder on Friday, I'm a bit nervous about the new addition but think I should have all my supplies in order before I go to pick them up. I've done lots of research over the years of considering what I would get for a larger (larger than a parakeet at least!) bird and have decided On a green cheek. I really want to do right by this bird considering we will be spending many years together.

My primary concern with this new bird is how do I ensure the bird will be relatively independent/not excessively clingy of anyone? I've read up on it a little but I like to hear peoples own methods. I'm very worried I may inadvertently make the bird want to be with me 24/7 and don't want to create screaming issues.
My parakeet Klobi (RIP :( ) was a very clingy boy but I eventually got him to stop screaming non stop whenever I was out of the house or in another room. I'm unfortunately not sure what caused him to stop being clingy, if it was age, my boyfriend being living with us, or me covering him whenever it got really bad I do not know.

I was also wondering where I should keep the bird when I'm not home? I got a 66in tall cage with a playtop and stand so I can easily roll the cage from area to area if need be. I was thinking while me and john are at work (we work same schedule) the bird could stay in the spare room, and then we can roll them out into the main area while people are home.

Also Is it okay to cover the bird cage with a blanket/sheet? Thats what I would do with my parakeets when we weren't home but I'm not sure if a GCC would tear it apart and make it dangerous or if it would create anxiety issues.

I don't know how this works with other birds for sure, but with cockatoos, they say to never hold it or attend to it in excess beyond what you would do on a typical day. Now, mine is older and at this point shes a bit more relaxed about being left alone, but with a baby, work to build independence by rewarding independent play etc. Teach it to play....practice being alone for increased intervals(and reward)...Praise the good behavior/reward what you want and ignore the bad (esp if for attention). If the bird screams whenever you leave, don't rush back each time. Also, use signal words and routines to increase predictability and if leaving the bird alone, make sure you put on some non-spastic music and use appropriate lighting.

Position the cage in a place with activity, preferably away from drafts and the kitchen (if possible). You will want one side to the wall and you will also want to consider lighting. If the cage can't be by a window, you might think about getting a bird light, but there is some debate over these. The point of having one side of the cage to the wall is to make the bird feel less vulnerable. I have a hunch that the bird won't appreciate you moving its cage, as birds are very detail oriented and crave routine. Don't introduce new toys etc without giving the bird some time to adjust (and by that, I mean place them within his line of sight for a few days and show interest in them yourself--demonstrate play but do not scare the bird by pushing too far). When you get it home, consider bringing it to its cage immediately and don't push things right off the bat. Let the bird get used to you and its environment.

Also- make sure that you do not touch it in a sexually stimulating way. This varies by bird, but if you get your bird used to a certain "touch" and then it goes through puberty, that same touching could lead to a bevvy of unwanted hormonal/aggressive/self-destructive behaviors.

I lock my bird in the cage when I am gone for more than 5 minutes because she is large and she could get into trouble in a room by herself (chewing walls, baseboards, plastics, paint, lights etc)

As far as cage covers go- you need to look into "night frights" and find out if your bird is the type to fly when startled at night. If so, covering can be dangerous. My bird holds the perch and flaps hard, but she doesn't fly. I DO cover her cage with a bird-safe cover (designed for breathing while blocking light +velcro slots if light is needed). It's a Cozzzy cover. I wash it with Free and Clear detergent and only cover at night.

Just off the top of my head (in general)...

Last edited:
Congrats on the Green Cheek...Although they are known as "Velcro Birds" for a very, very good reason, lol...It's going to be difficult to try to sway a hand-raised, baby Green Cheek to not want to be with you/on you 24/7...That's just how they are...

***Please, never, ever cover your bird's cage with anything during the day! That's not good at all, first of all they need as much natural sunlight as possible, but beyond that, this is going to influence him to not play, to not move, to just sit there all day and sleep...It's fine to cover them at bedtime and then uncover them in the morning, but please do not cover them at all during the day...Think about birds in the wild...they certainly are active and not covered or in the dark at all during the daytime...

Also, a "Natural Light Schedule" is extremely important to birds, mostly because it's natural to them, but also because it helps to control their hormones, egg-laying in females, etc...If you cover a bird's cage all day when you're not home it could not only result in behavior and psychological issues, but it could also result in horribly awful hormonal issues...They need to be uncovered, in the daylight all day long, and then get around 12 hours of sleep every night...But please, bird's do not need nor deserve to be covered during daylight hours...

I don't know how this works with other birds for sure, but with cockatoos, they say to never hold it or attend to it in excess beyond what you would do on a typical day. Now, mine is older and at this point shes a bit more relaxed about being left alone, but with a baby, work to build independence by rewarding independent play etc. Teach it to play....practice being alone for increased intervals(and reward)...Praise the good behavior/reward what you want and ignore the bad (esp if for attention). If the bird screams whenever you leave, don't rush back each time. Also, use signal words and routines to increase predictability and if leaving the bird alone, make sure you put on some non-spastic music and use appropriate lighting.

Position the cage in a place with activity, preferably away from drafts and the kitchen (if possible). You will want one side to the wall and you will also want to consider lighting. If the cage can't be by a window, you might think about getting a bird light, but there is some debate over these. The point of having one side of the cage to the wall is to make the bird feel less vulnerable. I have a hunch that the bird won't appreciate you moving its cage, as birds are very detail oriented and crave routine. Don't introduce new toys etc without giving the bird some time to adjust (and by that, I mean place them within his line of sight for a few days and show interest in them yourself--demonstrate play but do not scare the bird by pushing too far). When you get it home, consider bringing it to its cage immediately and don't push things right off the bat. Let the bird get used to you and its environment.

Also- make sure that you do not touch it in a sexually stimulating way. This varies by bird, but if you get your bird used to a certain "touch" and then it goes through puberty, that same touching could lead to a bevvy of unwanted hormonal/aggressive/self-destructive behaviors.

I lock my bird in the cage when I am gone for more than 5 minutes because she is large and she could get into trouble in a room by herself (chewing walls, baseboards, plastics, paint, lights etc)

As far as cage covers go- you need to look into "night frights" and find out if your bird is the type to fly when startled at night. If so, covering can be dangerous. My bird holds the perch and flaps hard, but she doesn't fly. I DO cover her cage with a bird-safe cover (designed for breathing while blocking light +velcro slots if light is needed). It's a Cozzzy cover. I wash it with Free and Clear detergent and only cover at night.

Thanks for the advice!

Should i give a treat for rewarding the bird for independent play or is a verbal reward enough or a bit of both?

Also my kitchen is directly connected to my livingroom, I'm worried about the cooking fumes. Would having the ceiling fan running be enough or should I open a few windows? Unfortunately i don't have any screens on my windows and live in Florida so it might be an issue.

I know you said keeping the cage in the main area full time is best but I don't want to inadvertently poison my birdie, should I move the cage then?

Congrats on the Green Cheek...Although they are known as "Velcro Birds" for a very, very good reason, lol...It's going to be difficult to try to sway a hand-raised, baby Green Cheek to not want to be with you/on you 24/7...That's just how they are...

***Please, never, ever cover your bird's cage with anything during the day! That's not good at all, first of all they need as much natural sunlight as possible, but beyond that, this is going to influence him to not play, to not move, to just sit there all day and sleep...It's fine to cover them at bedtime and then uncover them in the morning, but please do not cover them at all during the day...Think about birds in the wild...they certainly are active and not covered or in the dark at all during the daytime...

Also, a "Natural Light Schedule" is extremely important to birds, mostly because it's natural to them, but also because it helps to control their hormones, egg-laying in females, etc...If you cover a bird's cage all day when you're not home it could not only result in behavior and psychological issues, but it could also result in horribly awful hormonal issues...They need to be uncovered, in the daylight all day long, and then get around 12 hours of sleep every night...But please, bird's do not need nor deserve to be covered during daylight hours...

Okay, i'll not cover them then. As far as natural sunlight goes I'm thinking I'll try and drag their cage out onto the porch for supervised outdoor visits, and eventually I'll see if they accept an aviator harness. Unfortunately We don't get a lot of direct natural sunlight coming through the windows in the main area.

I was considering eventually getting an avian sun light to keep over the cage for 10-12 hours, what are peoples opinion on that?

Okay, first of all you probably don't want any fans on while he is out. You don't want them running in to it, and some birds have problems with flying into windows, but some don't. If they do put some stickers on the glass or something so they can see they can't fly right through it. Try switching to non teflon cooking pans. Also, a handfed baby is going to want to be on you 24/7. When we first brought my lenny home we thought he would want to settle in his cage for a few hours to a few days to adjust. NOPE, he wanted to be out with us all the time, still does. Congrats on your new baby.

Okay, first of all you probably don't want any fans on while he is out. You don't want them running in to it, and some birds have problems with flying into windows, but some don't. If they do put some stickers on the glass or something so they can see they can't fly right through it. Try switching to non teflon cooking pans. Also, a handfed baby is going to want to be on you 24/7. When we first brought my lenny home we thought he would want to settle in his cage for a few hours to a few days to adjust. NOPE, he wanted to be out with us all the time, still does. Congrats on your new baby.

Oof yup fans are a nono when bird is out, forgot for a second. Ill have to check if we have teflon or not. We keep the blinds down over our windows so that shouldn't be an issue.

My GCC is 7 months old and I have had him since he was 3 months. He is definitely a 24/7 be with me.
Although he is okay while in his cage, when out he is very clingy. He has a large playgym that he never uses unless I stand there. If he had his way he would be on me all day. Even when I put him on a perch in my kitchen, the moment I walk to my sink...there he is.

Don't misunderstand me as I am not complaining. But it would be nice if, when I put him on an out of cage perch, he would stay there for awhile. If he did that, I would let him be out of his cage all day. But, constantly being on me forces me to put him back quicker since I need to do things.
I am training him to "stay" with some success.

I only cover a corner of his cage where his sleep perch is. More as a security feeling.

Last edited:
My GCC is 7 months old and I have had him since he was 3 months. He is definitely a 24/7 be with me.
Although he is okay while in his cage, when out he is very clingy. He has a large playgym that he never uses unless I stand there. If he had his way he would be on me all day. Even when I put him on a perch in my kitchen, the moment I walk to my sink...there he is.

Don't misunderstand me as I am not complaining. But it would be nice if, when I put him on an out of cage perch, he would stay there for awhile. If he did that, I would let him be out of his cage all day. But, constantly being on me forces me to put him back quicker since I need to do things.
I am training him to "stay" with some success.

I only cover a corner of his cage where his sleep perch is. More as a security feeling.

If i can train the bird to be ok with being in its cage while people are home I'll be happy. My main worry is they'll take to constant screaming for attention. I'm okay with some screaming because thats what birds do, but non- stop might make me lose my mind (and probably my roommate and boyfriend too).

I'm getting a handfed GCC from a breeder on Friday, I'm a bit nervous about the new addition but think I should have all my supplies in order before I go to pick them up. I've done lots of research over the years of considering what I would get for a larger (larger than a parakeet at least!) bird and have decided On a green cheek. I really want to do right by this bird considering we will be spending many years together.

My primary concern with this new bird is how do I ensure the bird will be relatively independent/not excessively clingy of anyone? I've read up on it a little but I like to hear peoples own methods. I'm very worried I may inadvertently make the bird want to be with me 24/7 and don't want to create screaming issues.
My parakeet Klobi (RIP :( ) was a very clingy boy but I eventually got him to stop screaming non stop whenever I was out of the house or in another room. I'm unfortunately not sure what caused him to stop being clingy, if it was age, my boyfriend being living with us, or me covering him whenever it got really bad I do not know.

I was also wondering where I should keep the bird when I'm not home? I got a 66in tall cage with a playtop and stand so I can easily roll the cage from area to area if need be. I was thinking while me and john are at work (we work same schedule) the bird could stay in the spare room, and then we can roll them out into the main area while people are home.

Also Is it okay to cover the bird cage with a blanket/sheet? Thats what I would do with my parakeets when we weren't home but I'm not sure if a GCC would tear it apart and make it dangerous or if it would create anxiety issues.

Are you sure you're ready a parrot? They need a lot of attention. They're extremely social. Don't get one if you just want to keep him in a cage, all quiet, so he didn't bother you.

btw, covering a bird up for the day while you're at work is about the worst thing you can do. My bird's original owner used to do that and she now has an extreme aversion to being locked in, even at night, so I basically leave her cage open all the times and she's out 99% of the time. Even sleeps elsewhere. The guy was even reported to the police by a neighbor for doing just that and they paid ME a visit months later to check on her (making sure her new owner - ME - is better).

Last edited:
You're getting great advice! I'm glad you're not going to cover the cages.

You sound like an open-minded, caring, soon-to-be parront!

Stick with us! We'll enjoy sharng your journey.

Are you sure you're ready a parrot? They need a lot of attention. They're extremely social. Don't get one if you just want to keep him in a cage, all quiet, so he didn't bother you.

btw, covering a bird up for the day while you're at work is about the worst thing you can do. My bird's original owner used to do that and she now has an extreme aversion to being locked in, even at night, so I basically leave her cage open all the times and she's out 99% of the time. Even sleeps elsewhere. The guy was even reported to the police by a neighbor for doing just that and they paid ME a visit months later to check on her (making sure her new owner - ME - is better).

I'm am a bit nervous for sure, but I assure you I would not get any animal unless I was ready for it. Truth be told I've been there, done that and refuse to make the same mistakes. If for any reason I am not ready I will text the breeder to keep the deposit and apologize for inconveniencing them. But I do feel as though it's right despite my nervousness .

I also assure you i will not lock the parrot by itself up or cover them. I've seen how terrible it is for parrots when they're locked up all day, I nearly got expelled from my animal science class from yelling at our teacher about it.

I would never inflict that on an animal under my care. My boyfriend and I work the same schedule at the same place 6am - 4:30pm and will be able to dedicate at least 3 hours to the bird easily. My roomate works sporadic hours but loved to play with and walk around the house with my parakeet so I know she'll give the bird some attention when we're not there as well.

Everyone has been briefed about how much more intensive this bird will be compared to our parakeets and they know that they will have to be involved in training too.

Well, it sounds like you've considered it enough and I get the feeling you'll provide good care for the bird. Just remember, a parrot is probably an even more social pet than a dog and, certainly, a cat. You do have to spend time with it. Mine flies around all over the house. If I make a noise in another room, there she is flying in curious what's happening. If I go to the kitchen to make food, she usually comes along, unless she's busy with something.

What you may want to do is.. you know those rods you can get anywhere, even Walmart - the adjustable tension curtain and/or shower rods you expand then twist in for proper fit... well, I put those in pretty much every window. My bird likes to hang out on it and look out the window. So if I'm in the kitchen, she's hanging out on the rod, looking out the window or snacking on something. Parrots in the wild are always with their flock. If you and your bf take the bird in, you are the flock and it is your responsibility to spend time together.

It kinda hit me hard when you asked if you should cover the bird for the day. Well, and then for the night also? So the bird would be out of cover for a few hours a day? He'd go insane. I'm glad you understand this and it's good you asked.

sounds like you've got things planned out pretty well. I found my bird to be a healthy mix between clingy cuddle bug and off playing doing his own thing. What I personally did was I would do things around the house without him, little things like washing up dishes or putting washing away if I just wanted to get the job done I would put him in his cage and let him play with his toys. I would also have times where I would put him in the cage and play with a toy in there with him, normally just batting something around so he would murder it! It seemed to communicate that sometimes he would have to do his own thing and couldn't be strapped to me constantly.

Best of luck with your new addition!

sounds like you've got things planned out pretty well. I found my bird to be a healthy mix between clingy cuddle bug and off playing doing his own thing. What I personally did was I would do things around the house without him, little things like washing up dishes or putting washing away if I just wanted to get the job done I would put him in his cage and let him play with his toys. I would also have times where I would put him in the cage and play with a toy in there with him, normally just batting something around so he would murder it! It seemed to communicate that sometimes he would have to do his own thing and couldn't be strapped to me constantly.

Best of luck with your new addition!
Okay, so I'll make sure none of use get into the habit of carrying the bird around the house whenever we're home so they don't end up expecting it of us. I was pretty good about playing with Klobi in his cage so i'll make sure to do that a lot with new bird.

As far as dinner time goes I assume bird should stay in his cage and be fed and not be out eating with us?

that's what I did as mine became terrible for trying to eat my food! But I made sure to sit with him and we would have dinner together

that's what I did as mine became terrible for trying to eat my food! But I made sure to sit with him and we would have dinner together

Okay, so if we're eating at the table should I roll their cage to the kitchen? One person said not to move the cage 'cause it might upset them but it would essentially jyst be rolled across the room because our kitchen and livingroom are connected.

"Should i give a treat for rewarding the bird for independent play or is a verbal reward enough or a bit of both?"--

1. Try both if you aren't sure what motivates him initially (many birds are more motivated by one than the other, so that will take time to determine)

"Also my kitchen is directly connected to my livingroom, I'm worried about the cooking fumes. Would having the ceiling fan running be enough or should I open a few windows? Unfortunately i don't have any screens on my windows and live in Florida so it might be an issue."
2. Ceiling fans can pose a danger to birds. Burning foods, teflon, gas and cleaning products tend to be the main reasons that they say to keep a bird away from the kitchen (that and boiling pots/burners). I do keep my bird near the kitchen, but I am SUPER uptight about it and I run an OZONE FREE/NON-IONIZING air purifier by her cage at all times. I also transfer all microwavable foods into glass containers before microwaving, as plastic fumes can be problematic and a lot of ready-to-make meal containers contain things like PTFE coatings (AKA TEFLON) (yes, it can come in a clear-coat form that is sometimes applied to cardboard/plastic/disposable microwave dishes). I avoid baking/cooking with any metal dishes unless I am 100% certain that they are 100% stainless or aluminum (teflon can be mixed into metals so it doesn't always look like no-stick pan...it can look like regular metal and still pose a threat). If I use the oven, I run the fan on the AC and I open windows whenever possible.

"I know you said keeping the cage in the main area full time is best but I don't want to inadvertently poison my birdie, should I move the cage then?"
3. Ultimately, you will have to make this call. It would likely depend on the bird and how much you trust yourself and others to adhere to strict rules/procedures while cooking. It is certainly not an ideal location, but with extreme caution, a lot of accidents can be avoided.

You could also get a stand perch/playtop that you use to keep the bird around during social times but keep the cage elsewhere (I have a play-stand that I cart around all of the time). The issue is, if your bird unexpectedly takes flight while you are cooking or something.

I do not feed my bird from my plate, but when eating with her out of her cage (which is 100% of the time for me) I always make sure she has something to eat as well (banana, lettuce etc..) If she complains/begs, I draw her attention to the "special items" I have given her and ignore the begging. She doesn't do it like she used to, so it has worked. Don't ever reward obnoxious behavior. It will increase if you do.

Last thought for now- it is possible that when you get the bird initially, it will pick one of you as its preferred person. Usually, with equal exposure and socialization this can be fixed, but it does take time. Just make sure you and your boyfriend discuss that possibility and don't take it personally if the bird appears to dislike one of you. You can't give up or give in if that happens.

Last edited:
"Should i give a treat for rewarding the bird for independent play or is a verbal reward enough or a bit of both?"--

1. Try both if you aren't sure what motivates him initially (many birds are more motivated by one than the other, so that will take time to determine)

"Also my kitchen is directly connected to my livingroom, I'm worried about the cooking fumes. Would having the ceiling fan running be enough or should I open a few windows? Unfortunately i don't have any screens on my windows and live in Florida so it might be an issue."
2. Ceiling fans can pose a danger to birds. Burning foods, teflon, gas and cleaning products tend to be the main reasons that they say to keep a bird away from the kitchen (that and boiling pots/burners). I do keep my bird near the kitchen, but I am SUPER uptight about it and I run an OZONE FREE/NON-IONIZING air purifier by her cage at all times. I also transfer all microwavable foods into glass containers before microwaving, as plastic fumes can be problematic and a lot of ready-to-make meal containers contain things like PTFE coatings (AKA TEFLON) (yes, it can come in a clear-coat form that is sometimes applied to cardboard/plastic/disposable microwave dishes). I avoid baking/cooking with any metal dishes unless I am 100% certain that they are 100% stainless or aluminum (teflon can be mixed into metals so it doesn't always look like no-stick pan...it can look like regular metal and still pose a threat). If I use the oven, I run the fan on the AC and I open windows whenever possible.

"I know you said keeping the cage in the main area full time is best but I don't want to inadvertently poison my birdie, should I move the cage then?"
3. Ultimately, you will have to make this call. It would likely depend on the bird and how much you trust yourself and others to adhere to strict rules/procedures while cooking. It is certainly not an ideal location, but with extreme caution, a lot of accidents can be avoided.

Okay, i'll take a close look at all our pots and pans to see what is no stick/teflon and go from there. We're careful about cleaning products/air fresheners near the parakeets already but I'll remind everyone again. We're going to see how much it'd cost to put a couple screens in our windows as well for ventilation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back