Food Coloring???

Birdielover68

Dec 28, 2015
Missouri, USA
Parrots
A voren black capped conure.
Okay, I saw a video on Youtube of a "birdie cake" consisting of flour, water, bird treats, and food coloring. It seemed like a good treat for special occasions, but I saw down in the comments that everyone was freaking out about the food coloring. Is food coloring safe to use? I thought the food coloring would be good to attract the bird to the nice colors, but ALOT of people say it is bad. For all of you experienced bird owners, Is food coloring safe?
Thanks! ~Birdielover68 :rainbow1: :)

Zilla's vet advises against food coloring, especially the red & orange ones. She even had me change from the "fruity" pellets with bright colors to ones with no color. I still use food coloring to color her wood blocks and ropes I use to make her toys, but I don't use it in any foods I make her and I don't buy any foods with it in.

That being said, if it's just a small treat now and then I do give in and let her have some. She gets a goldfish cracker now and then, just not too many or too often.

Oh, the vets reasoning is the colors are hard on the liver and kidneys, hard on ours too, but we are so much bigger that our feathered friends.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back