Flock Mentality or Jealousy?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
My GCC, Conlan, has been showing some confusing behavior, mind you she's starting a molt and is 9 months old. I brought the baby Sun Conure, 16 weeks, home Friday evening. Both are DNA tested female. Since the Sun has come home Conlan has been excessively noisey. Very chatty and more scream calling when I leave the room. She also is more 'Pay attention to me!'. She hasn't been nasty, if anything more affectionate. And if I have her and my mother has the Sun or vise versa she's quiet. Each gets the same amount of attention, same treats, same voice when I talk, and same play times separate.

On that same note if I take her out of my room, where they are both houses in cages about 6 inches apart, both she and my Sun will flock call until I bring the Sun into her view. When in the cages Conlan spends most of her time sitting at close to the other cage as she can, which is on her food dish, which she never did before. But if I get them closer Conlan will make a snatch at the Sun. MIND YOU, Conlan will get jealous and toss a tizzy of I baby talk to my pet rats. Right now she's on her dish crouched at me in the pick me up mode, while the baby sleeps on the perch in the next cage. So I'm not sure if she's jealous or if she's staking claim to the baby?

I have not changed anything with Conlan at all. She has always flock called me when I left the room so it's not new, it's just her suddenly over chatty-ness and the fact if the baby is out of her sight she does the same thing whether the baby calls first or not.

Last edited:
I think she may be jealous :( So I would just give Conlan a lot of one on one time away from little baby sun conure and let Conlan know she is the real MVP - Most Valuable Parrot. I think it is hard for her to understand that she is not an only bird any more and may take some time to get used to the idea.

Thank you kq_fan! I appreciate your help. I'll definitely try that :)

Most Reactions

Back