Ferret cage???

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
I was looking into buying a really nice bird cage or two from petco..
but now that I'm babysitting a friends ferret, I've noticed how great the ferret cage is.
my friend has this one, Super Pet Multi-Floor Ferret Home - Ferret Cage and Indoor Wire Cage from petco.com
i'm thinking about buying two as day time cages to have toys and food in, and using the old ones as sleep cages.
I want to take out the plastic ladders and leave the floor levels, kind of like those corner squatter patio type things you can get for birds.
it just really seems like if i put perches in the area where the ladders would connect floor to floor that it would encourage my birds to move around a lot more.
i could even attach toys under all of the levels.. and this way all three conures could be housed together without any little arguments over space or toys
anybody else done anything like this?
Maybe i'll give my zebra finches the 30x18x18 breeder cage, my parakeet the other 30x18x18 cage, and just keep all three conures in a ferret cage and both cockatiels in the other. i like to put TONS of kinds of perches, concrete, rope, wood etc on the outside of the cages, with ladders connecting the two, and play gyms ontop.
and the price is really good. $150 in store price or $100 online, for a parrot cage even close to that size at petco it would cost atleast $350 per cage! and i need TWO!

Last edited:
Check to see what it's coated with and the paint- ferrets aren't as sensitive as parrots to paints and toxins, etc. But although ferret cages are a great size and price be careful because they bend easily with use, and some of the doors aren't the most secure. I've owned about 3 different ferret cages and around 7 or so ferrets. Even the expensive $300 cage we got started to bend with use after 4 months. ANd wHen I say bend I mean you opening and shutting the door, etc

As per the comments, the cage has 1" bar spacing which is far too big for most conures and cockatiels. Granted, I have seen a green cheek conure in one of those cages!

One of my flight cages was originally bought for sugar gliders, but it's often sold for parrots as well... being that it's an HQ Flight Cage.

On another forum, I have seen photos of people using the Midwest Ferret cages for their small to large parrots (up to cockatoo/grey size). They really loved them! Here are the cages I'm talking about...
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-142-Ferret-Nation-Cage/dp/B000F4OX0E]Amazon.com: Midwest 142 Ferret Nation Double-Level Ferret Cage with Ramps, 36 Inches by 25 Inches by 62-1/4 Inches: Pet Supplies[/ame]

I don't know what the bar spacing is on these either... and there's also a "critter nation" cage, which I'm not sure if it's any different. I think the biggest concern was the gap created by removing the partition?

As it turns out, Blanco's cage is technically a ferret cage, but the exact same cage is sold as a bird flight cage, it just had some wire ladders and trays with it that they don't bundle when sold as a flight cage. I got it cheap because they'd basically accidentally included it in a shipment of cages to the bird store. But it's the same wire guage, coating and spacing as the manufacturer's small bird flight cage.

I don't see where it lists the bar spacing -- not sure I'd trust the comments, but 1" is definitely too big for GCC. Half inch is ideal, 5/8" supposedly OK.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back