Female Sun Conure

ZephyrTK

Sep 15, 2012
Woodland Hills, CA
Parrots
Sun Conure- Emmy
Hello All!

I just got the DNA results for Cecil back and was surprised to find out he is a girl. I'm surprised primarily because he has been strutting around, bobbing his head and flitting his wings. I assumed this was some sort of male display--I was obviously wrong!! Then there is the talking! I guess I have a vocally talented female!

Anyway, the real question I have is how can I help to prevent egg laying and egg binding? I'd absolutely hate to accidentally "lead her on".

I have provided lots of calcium sources in her cage and on her play stand from the first day in the form of a cuttle bone, a mineral perch and a mineral stone. I've also read about calcium supplements that you can put in their water--any recommendations on a good brand?

Also, what kind of behaviors should I be avoiding so as to not confuse her? I've read to not pet below the middle of their back or under their wings. What else?

She likes to lay on her back in my hand and have her belly rubbed--is that off limits? Can I still give kisses or will that confuse her? She likes to cuddle up inside the collar of my shirt and sleep when it's near her bedtime--is that ok? I've read there is some behavior they will do when around you that you need to stop but no one has described it clearly enough for me to know if she's doing it. One of the odd behaviors she has shown lately is she will latch onto my ear with her beak and repeatedly (jack-hammer style) tug at it. Is that the behavior I need to discourage? (I am--primarily because it's annoying.)

I will be removing the hidey-hut from her sleep cage immediately as I don't want her to have a place to lay eggs. She doesn't have anywhere else that could resemble a nest in any of her other cages. She likes toys that she can pull pieces from. I call them "preening" toys. Can she still have those?

Any advice is appreciated. I've heard egg-binding can be fatal and I want to take any steps to prevent it that I can.

Thanks!
:orange:

You should avoid any happy huts or anything that looks like a nest as this will encourage egg laying and she will be more protective of her cage . I do not know anything about the behavior things( I only own 2 budgies) just keep on giving her lots of calcium and try to give her varied foods as this will reduce the horrible chance of egg binding. I'll leave the rest to the people who actually have conures:22:

I would not read to much into it. I believe your bird is still young so the egg laying would not occur right now. Young birds do displaying mating dances. My Sennie does it once a while and the whole dance looks down right silly to me. My Lovie gets on top of her birdy hut and rides it like a rodeo, lol. My Lovie lays 1 egg a year. She takes any paper in the house and sticks it in her rump and flies back to her cage. She builds a nest inside her cage. I admire her hard work. Once she has finally laid an egg then she will sit on it. The sight of that is priceless. So just enjoy bird and stop worrying. Pets are suppose to reduce our blood pressure and make us happy. Peace.

Don't feed warm foods! It may help to have varying temps and light exposure throughout the year as well.

A good, healthy diet along with exercise (best via flight) is typically a great way to reduce the risks of egg-binding. A hen that is in shape is less likely to have egg-binding issues than a hen that is out of shape, as there have been studies done showing that flight and the muscles that control egg laying are connected.

I think if she is eating a pelleted diet and has a cuttle bone she has enough calcium. U can give them to much calcium and that can cause big problems so don't add more to her food.

I would feed her a healthy diet, no huts or nest, and don't let her have to many hours of day light. Spring and summer have longer days so that puts them in a breeding mode. Change her cage around as far as toys and perches even placement of the cage helps to keep them out of the breeding mode.

A lot of my female babies talk, more then my males really so I think that is normal.

I 3rd no huts, nothing she can hide in no dark spots. Also once in awhile change her toys about and perches. They tend to lay when they are completly comfortable so add a new toy take one out change perches a bit. I would say no supplements are needed.

Just add to her fresh food diet red bell pepper as this pepper has higher nutritional value of any other color pepper. U can also feed a small amount of boiled egg ( with the shell crunched up) or scrambled egg( no salt butter oil added) Hot pepper also good to add to their daily diet

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back