Expanding my flock with an AG

tjwolf1

Mar 1, 2010
Parrots
Miligold macaw, cockatiel... Also co-exist with an African grey (husband's bird)
Within the next two months I plan to add another feathered baby to my flock. I will be purchasing a newly weaned AG. I looked into rescues, but there are none in my area with any greys available. I watched one for a friend for a couple of years (he wasn't friendly) and fell in love with them. My miligold macaw, Matty, and him carried on quite the dialog and she was lonely for a while after he went back.

So, since the new one will still be a baby, what do I need to know about special care? I got Matty when she was a year old and my cockatiel, Cookie, when she was about 6 months, so I have some experience, but none with one quite as young. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

To those of you with Grey experience... I have the potential to get a Timneh or a Congo. Does anybody have both? Any difference? There is a difference in price, but both seem to be great breeders.

Thanks

Congrats on your decision to add a Grey to your flock. I have an almost ten-year-old male Congo. I've had him since he was a tiny baby (he was bred by my godfather). You'll need to do a lot of reading but when you have the great fortune of acquiring a parrot as a youngster, you are able to do so many things right. I made sure he got to try every single healthy food I'd want him to eat his whole life during the malleable baby stage; I taught him to touch things on command and rewarded him for being so brave (so as an adult if something concerns him and I tell him to touch it, he knows it will not harm him); I made sure he fledged correctly (baby Greys are pretty klutzy, so you might need to put a big thick towel in the bottom of your cage topped with newspaper until he's older and more coordinated); I made sure he was socialized and let everyone who wanted to hold him, hold him (to this day he loves strangers; I even visit rehab hospitals with him); I introduced him to his harness and play towel; I taught him to take "food" and "juice" from a spoon, and I still give him warm foods like that weekly so if I ever need to medicate him, I will be able to do that. Like I said, there are entire books written on what to do with a young parrot, so I'd really start reading and applying all that you think will become important to you. For me, personally, I wanted a social bird that wasn't spooky (many Greys I had met weren't friendly with strangers and were terrified and phobic from something as a new toy or a moved piece of furniture). I think my baby turned out rather well. Good luck with your new Grey. I'll look forward to reading about your progress.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back