Eclectus in a wooden house

ParrotLover7

Dec 19, 2016
Can you own an eclectus if you live in a wooden house.
I heard that once they scream it can be very loud.
Thanks.

It's maybe not much different from a macaw in a wooden house. Scream resounding, check. Wander to floor to chew wall, double check. Although the only female eclectus parrot I met had chewed two parrot size holes in the drywall by the floor, excavating the space between two studs and the sill plate...still, drywall is easier to fix than log wall...

Can you own an eclectus if you live in a wooden house.
I heard that once they scream it can be very loud.
Thanks.

Homes are built with the most available /lowest cost resource available. In North America that is Wood /composite Wood products.

The amount of insulation and the type of insulation is a combination of Local Laws, which are called Codes that defines the minimum allowable construction in that area. There are types of insulation that reduce the rate of either heat or cold transference and others that also reduce the transference of sound.

Specific to sound transference, there are specific Codes that define sound transference. But this type of Code is only common in very specific construction (commonly apartment /high density) found in mid to larger Cities. Depending on the Code, the type of sound reduction approaches vary depending on application and restrictions!

Since an Eclectus sits in the upper range regarding their abilities to make sounds that transfer /passes through walls constructed in most standard homes I 'could see' the reasoning for the question. But they sit far below the capabilities of the larger Too's and Mac's.

So, my turn! From a science /research stand point, glass commonly used in older homes more easily transfers sound. Why:

A parrot can live in any house. The question is can you live with the noise? Parrots are noisy. Even the quietest individuals still make occasional jungle calls. These animals evolved to be heard over vast areas of dense forest which isn't always the most lovable characteristic for us quiet loving humans;) Also to consider, parrots LOVE chewing wood and see little difference between their toy and your baseboards/doors/trim/furniture etc... Some individuals can be trained not to chew stuff they aren't suppose to, but that is NEVER a sure bet. Others, despite the best efforts at training, will always need to be closely supervised when out of their cages.

Last edited:
I have found Eclectus to be among the most quiet of parrots. Typical noises are pleasant and they can be excellent talkers. There are one or two specific vocalizations that are loud, but they tend not to drone on for long periods like others.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back