DYH amazon suddenly being aggressive ?

Ilovebirds2much

Aug 24, 2024
Parrots
Double yellow head amazon
My parents bought a double yellow head amazon a 3 weeks ago. When we got him the guy that we bought him from told us he was 3 months old when we first got him he wasnt agressive he wouldnt let us touch him but we knew that was understandable so we didnt touch him. Weve had bad experiences in the past with birds so we wanted to do our best to give this one the perfect life. After a while of him being with us my dad bought him toys and i was the one incharge of like well taming him i would not imeaditly put the toys in the birds cage i would slowly introduce him and stuff like that. He started becoming more aware about us like he was getting used to us. My mom at first would pressure him to step up but i corrected her and told her not to do that and she listened and every while he would come down from his cage and sit in our dining chair and when he was theyre i would take advantage of that and try to teach him how to step up after like 2 days he got it and he would give me his claw and then i would like slightly push foward so he knew to give me the other hand and he did. It was going good then all of a sudden one day in the afternoon he started being really agresive like if anyone would get even near him he would scream like if we where trying to attack him but we thought it might have been because overwhelmed from the new snacks we introduced him too so we left him alone and let him do his own thing and the next day he was fine back to his old self. Now flash to a week later and now every time we go near his cage hes like spooked like he stops everything hes doing and looks at us like were gonna eat him and when i try to get him to step up he screetches and screams like where going to attack him but when we near him hes calm then flash to 2 days ago i was changing his water and wasnt even near him and i reached over for the water wirh my left hand on the left side of the cage and he started screaming and screetching i was like what the heck so i tested my right hand put it near his cage and nothing but then i put my left hand near his cage and screaming and screetching again so i was like maybe hes overwhelmed again ? But idk what it would be from so flash to today hes calm when no one like trys to get him to step up but he stays in like one corner of his cage doesnt come down from his cage anymore and when we get close to him screetching and screaming but when we give him snacks he doesnt im reallt scared because our past with birds and i want this one to live a wonderfull life.

Welcome and be welcomed!
3 weeks is pretty short time for a parrot to really be comfortable in a new home. Take your time, no need to rush things. Observe more then act. if he prefers one hand over the other, fine, you can always work on that later. I'd advise to start looking at things like this - parrots are all about trust. You should look t everything in that light - does this build or break trust. Start making a daily schedule, parrots love that. THey can trust dinner will be at *** o'clock, stuff like that.

Welcome and be welcomed!
3 weeks is pretty short time for a parrot to really be comfortable in a new home. Take your time, no need to rush things. Observe more then act. if he prefers one hand over the other, fine, you can always work on that later. I'd advise to start looking at things like this - parrots are all about trust. You should look t everything in that light - does this build or break trust. Start making a daily schedule, parrots love that. THey can trust dinner will be at *** o'clock, stuff like that.
Yes i understand all of what youre saying but it just wierded me out how he went from freindly stepping up you know like being cool with everyone to yelling at anyone that gets slightly near his cage

A Double Yellow-Headed Amazon is first and always a member of the "Big, Hot, Three Amazons."And, is a parrot that requires a solid background with larger Parrots.

If you live in the US, the purchase of young Amazons require that the seller provides the buyer a Hatch Certificate that defines the species of the parents, the date of hatching and every point that the Amazon was sold or exchanged since and their contact information. This to limit Black Market trade and the transfer of stolen parrots.

As stated above, Parrots need a trusting relationship and working to assure you develop a trust bond with a DYHA is very important. Consistency is as important as it supports trust.

I strongly recommend that you read with understanding the two Threads at the top of the Amazon Forum and re-read them regularly! Although your Amazon is stated to be young, reading the Thread that deals with Understanding Amazon Body Language will be very helpful as your DYHA will be adding many of the Hardwired responses as he grows.

FYI-1: How do you know the actual sex of your DYHA? Without a DNA sex test it is fundamentally a guess unless one's hen lays an egg!

FYI-2: Sitting next to your Amazon a read out loud in a comforting voice helps greatly in your understand your parrot and his developing comfort with you!

FYI-3: You will need to come to understand that DYHA's can turn on a dime and your paying very close attention will help you see the change and begin to understand, why!

A Double Yellow-Headed Amazon is first and always a member of the "Big, Hot, Three Amazons."And, is a parrot that requires a solid background with larger Parrots.

If you live in the US, the purchase of young Amazons require that the seller provides the buyer a Hatch Certificate that defines the species of the parents, the date of hatching and every point that the Amazon was sold or exchanged since and their contact information. This to limit Black Market trade and the transfer of stolen parrots.

As stated above, Parrots need a trusting relationship and working to assure you develop a trust bond with a DYHA is very important. Consistency is as important as it supports trust.

I strongly recommend that you read with understanding the two Threads at the top of the Amazon Forum and re-read them regularly! Although your Amazon is stated to be young, reading the Thread that deals with Understanding Amazon Body Language will be very helpful as your DYHA will be adding many of the Hardwired responses as he grows.

FYI-1: How do you know the actual sex of your DYHA? Without a DNA sex test it is fundamentally a guess unless one's hen lays an egg!

FYI-2: Sitting next to your Amazon a read out loud in a comforting voice helps greatly in your understand your parrot and his developing comfort with you!

FYI-3: You will need to come to understand that DYHA's can turn on a dime and your paying very close attention will help you see the change and begin to understand, why!
Yes i understand what youre sayinf

thank you and i understand everything youre saying i do interact with my dyh and when he wouldnt be agressive i would put him next to me while i was eating and put his bowl next to me too so we can eat at the same time or while i was doing work i would put him next to me.
I dont know the sex of my parrot i just said he so I wouldnt get confused while telling my story sorry if you didnt understand that.
Yes i understand that dyh can change we had one that got stolen from our house before we could creat a strong bond with it and we have studyd for this bird for years.
Thank you for your advice.

Sorry, I forget to mention those 2 threads on our Amazon sub forum. They are Amazon GOLD for understanding and dealing with Amazon (and other) parrots. And since they were penned by Mr. 'Boats above, our resident Amazon guru, they are based on actual experience and first hand knowledge. We are lucky to have his participation on ParrotForums.

Most Reactions

Back