Does this cage setup sound okay?

Blackyote

Jun 23, 2015
Hi, everyone! I just bought my first parrot (a turquoise GC) and will be bringing him home in a couple weeks. My husband and I are contractors and work full-time on a seasonal basis (we're off right now), so I want to make sure our bird has a fun, spacious cage that he won't get bored in. (Please don't misunderstand- we're going to interact with him every day, but he will be left to his own devices while we're at work.)

We're looking to order [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Opening-Victorian-Parrot-22x17x55-Black/dp/B005HOKC66/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1435092195&sr=8-11&keywords=bird+cage+victorian"]this cage[/ame]. It's a decent size, well reviewed, and looks nice, too!

My current check list is:
* one textured perch (I saw ones at the store that look like they have salt crystals on them? Not sure what it is exactly, but I want variety for his feet.)
* one textured swing perch
* some kind of mineral block/beak conditioner
* one mirrored toy
* one foraging toy (we'll probably make our own)
* a ladder
* one mobile toy that he can carry around his cage
* a couple miscellaneous hanging toys

Does this sound alright? Mostly I'm hoping for recommendations on specific products and what your conures seem to enjoy best. :) I want to have enough toys for him that we can rotate them out.

Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to the forum. You must be excited! Your list looks ok. I might suggest a rope and natural perch though. The 'pedicure' perches (as you call them-textured) are great, but if that's all the bird has to stand on, it can irritate their feet. They need a variety of surfaces:) Also be sure any mirrored toy is not easily breakable (some are), or have a mirror that can be pried out (or forego them altogether).

Best of luck and be sure to post some pics of your setup and your new friend when he/she comes home!

Welcome to the forum and Congratulations!

Your cage and list sound good. I would choose natural perches in various sizes. One pedi perch is usually plenty, most parrots like them, but as Kiwibird said, you'll need to make sure your bird doesn't use the pedi-perch exclusively.

Parrot toys are so much fun. Here's a link for you, even if you don't want to buy your toys from MSBS you can find all sorts of ideas for toys and toy parts. Have fun!

My Safe Bird Store | Discounted Bird Products | BIRD FREE ENVIRONMENT| Free Shipping Available

Looking forward to chatting with you.

I have a cage very similar to this

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wrought-Flight-Aviary-Removable-Rolling/dp/B00D4WW64Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435104859&sr=8-3&keywords=flight+cage"]Amazon.com: Large Wrought Iron Metal Bird Flight Cage Aviary With Removable Rolling Stand, White Vein - 32-Inch by 19-Inch by 64-Inch: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Its much larger and cheaper. I wouldnt recomend it for larger birds but for most conures this cage should work. I would just remove the dowels. What kind of conure are you getting?

Like you, I work during the day - so JellyBean has to learn to amuse himself (we give him loads of time during the morning, evening and weekends). I find that plenty of foraging toys are really good. JB is out of his cage during the day - we parrot proofed the room - and I hide treats and foraging toys everywhere! He really manages to get all of them!

Enjoy your new friend! Post some pics when he is home...

Cage looks good, you may want to tywrap the top gym closed. I have heard of ugly accidents involving them. I have a cage similar to the one you are looking at and I have the top secured. Remember, for natural perches, maple, sycamore, bottlebrush, and citrus are all good free choices. Also a simple hunk of manilla rope(home depo) draped from one top corner to the opposite bottom is nice.
Otherwise, simple, just give your baby your credit card, they are very fast learners!

Otherwise, simple, just give your baby your credit card, they are very fast learners!

ROFL - I have (in addition to my 3 feathered babies) 2 horses, 5 sheep, 3 dogs and a bug. I will have to say that the MAJORITY of my "animal funds" go to freaking bird things. I know that you can "do it yourself" (which I hope I can do in the future) but I have found so many great (and reasonable toys on ebay) that my credit card it in overdrive.

Your little house set-up sounds great. The only thing I wish I knew before becoming a bird family was to cough up the money and invest in a nice "natural" playpen. I have one that is very textured with hardwood and my birds LOVE it, as do I. Also, as suggested by the other, lots of "different" perching surfaces are great for their feet/nails. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your responses, everyone! Given that I'm a first-time parrot owner, I think I'll be posting/browsing here a lot. lol My husband says the joke about giving the bird our credit card is too true. ;) Here's a picture of our baby at the store:

ZnuyqoO.png

We did indeed go with a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-Wrought-F040-31-Inch/dp/B00176F5L0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435280926&sr=8-2&keywords=prevue+bird+cage"]bigger cage[/ame] for him. :) For perches he'll have grapevine, sisal rope, a pedi-perch, a ladder, plus his toys to climb on. We've already bought him a couple durable plastic toys, a chewable toy, and we bought stuff to make our own foraging toy (a dowel with holes drilled in it).

I've also decided to forgo a mirrored toy since I read that can cause behavioral problems like cage aggression?

Again, thanks for your input, everyone. I'll post lots of pics once I bring him home. :) We visited him today at the store and he's warming right up to us. Super mellow bird.

Your baby is beautiful! Looking forward to lots of homecoming photos!

Most Reactions

Back