considering a senegal

There are two senegal books available too, you should be able to order them off of amazon.

Rio is 5 months and despite my families efforts, she wants nothing to do with them. They can give her treats, but that's where the love starts and stops. Today, she is even being bratty to me. So that leaves the dog. Hahaha! But I did just move her cage, so she might not be too happy about that. Doesn't seem to be affecting her appetite though. :D

I hold/rub Merlin's beak. He either tries to go for my fingers again (meaning he releases my current from his jaws of death) or he gets into that 'soothed' state (he's such a beak rubbing loving freak) that he'll ease off and let go. Sometimes it's hard not to flinch or wave about and it does happen! I got bit twice since writing to you because Merlin landed 'wrong' on my hands after a panic and chomped down, I moved my hand a bit to try and wobble him to fly again and got the second pinch! But it's really so important to try not to react - but it happens, we all do it at some point. :21:

We also sometimes cover his eyes with our hands, covering his eyes just makes him go into 'sleep mode' and he'll close his eyes and start cooing. What's better than getting a bird to stop biting? Soothing and cooing!

You'll find out what works best for your bird. Charlie rarely 'chomps' he mouths and gets harder if you don't move away - so he gives you a fair warning.

He sounds like real sweetheart bless him, its good to learn little tips and things I think, I wouldn't have thought of covering the eyes, and thats really cute that it settles him down so much :)

are there any books specifically on senegals I could look into?

The thing about covering the eyes is a well known 'trick' in the world of birds. Many birds of prey, for example, wear little 'hoods' at the vets which cover their eyes and reduces the stress factor. They're usually used when out during sport, but serve a duel purpose, but the idea is to keep the bird calm and less stressed!

I never read any books on Senegals, all my information was gathered from the internet.

Here I believe is a good forum post (from another forum mods, please feel free to edit/remove as you see fit!) basically covering a huge aspect of senegal life :)

Senegal Parrot Forum ? View topic - Senegal Parrot Information and FAQ

Parrots For Dummys is usually well recommended but it's not senegal specific and I've never read it myself. :)

I now feel incredibly daft for not making that connection! Ive seen falcons with hoods on so many times at country shows, Im having one of my blonde moments again I think XD

Thank you very much for the link, theres so much information there! :)

Somebody else has recommended parrots for dummies as well so I'm definitely going to buy that one :)

I'll tell you a bit about my senegal. :) She is both typical and atypical for her species.

I got Mika when she was about 13 years old, some 10-11 years ago. When I first met her, she would bow her head for scritches. She was offered to us for free by some friends who were moving. They had gotten her for free from someone who had also gotten her from someone.

The first week we had her home, while Mika would allow me to pet her, she would unpredictably flip her head back around and deliver devestating bites. After a few attempts to be her friend, I gave up after recieving numerous deep punctures in my finger and large excavations from her extremely sharp and powerful beak.

I think part of it was that at that time, I was still a child. The children in her previous home had poked at her with pencils, evidenced by the pencils laying right next to her cage and her extreme phobia of seeing anyone hold a pencil or other stick like object.

It took her about 5-6 years to overcome her phobia of stick like objects in one's hand, and she still sometimes has her moments. After 10 years I am finally able to handle her, and am confident she would be reluctant to bite me in most circumstances. She ADORES my dad, always has, since the day we brought her home. I think she only bit him once, and after that she was pudding in his hands.

Now I can take her and turn her over in my hands and she desires attention from me, but it has taken 10 years, and the extreme confidence garnered from handling large and aggressive birds at work. I finally decided it was stupid for me to be so afraid of a senegal's beak when the aggressive macaws I often had to handle were much more dangerous.

It took me noticing a restriction on her toe and having to towel her regularly over the course of a week to care for her that she finally trusted me. I just had to do it. Suddenly she is eager and willing to step up, I can flip her on her back, and we are friends in general (still not letting that beak near my face though!!)

But no one else in my family of 8 will handle her. I don't know if they can either. She is not stupid enough to bite the hand that is holding her, and will step up to anyone if she is startled by something, but she will not willingly go to anyone but my dad and I.

In my opinion poicephalus are not good family birds. Yes they are /very/ quiet-- at least Mika is. She has her contact call, a high pitched whistle, and occasionally screams when she gets mad, but in comparison to my U2, Caique and Sun Conure, it's nothing. She's quieter than the budgies, lovebird and even quieter than the female cockatiel. Occasionally she talks, saying her name or mine.

Recently we had a bird go through the store I work at on consignment--- he was a 9 year old senegal, and extremely docile. He was shy, and phobic, but even when freaked out he never tried to bite me and he loved being pet.

There are nice ones out there, but it can be hit and miss when aquiring a baby. I strongly reccomend looking for a rescue sennie if you are really set on the species--- their hormonal years are really nasty and many get given up then, so they shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Senegals are african parrots, like the african grey (I think there's even been reports of an african grey/senegal hybrid) and in my opinion senegals have personalities very similar to greys-- timid, one person, easily upset-- not usually as good a talking ability. They have a lot of the same body language--- pinny eyes, the hunched over posture, hackles up, weaving, and some of the same vocal patterns when upset. Think of them somewhat like a mini african grey.

I'm very fortunate that mine is not phobic of new items. I can put a new toy in her cage and she will go play with it right away (it took her about 6 years to play with toys though, after I got her). She doesn't get upset about many things anymore.

Either way, I hope this has been somewhat informative for you --- I think they can make good pets in the right hands, but expect them to bond to one person only. They don't always, but that is the norm. And unfortunately, birds don't always choose who you want them to. It may be your bird, but the bird decides they adore your spouse and despise you, no matter who is the primary caretaker.

Thank you very much for your response, we would definitely consider a rescue but I'm not sure where to look for rescue birds? I think we need to find a way to meet a few senegals to work out if they're the bird for us :)

Thank you very much for your response, we would definitely consider a rescue but I'm not sure where to look for rescue birds? I think we need to find a way to meet a few senegals to work out if they're the bird for us :)

The UK has a few private rescue's, the RSPCA is one but rarely have senegals and I'd have to recommend Birdline who often have many senegals (one on there I considered myself!).

Will help you look for more rescues sometime :) Most of them here tend to be "when in this rescue, they're here for life" so I think we might struggle!

The UK has a few private rescue's, the RSPCA is one but rarely have senegals and I'd have to recommend Birdline who often have many senegals (one on there I considered myself!).

Will help you look for more rescues sometime :) Most of them here tend to be "when in this rescue, they're here for life" so I think we might struggle!

I didn't expect the rspca would have them for some reason, Ill google birdline :) thank you very much :)

Most Reactions

Back