Cockatoos compared to Macaws?

...im not completely against a cockatoo (or any bird really) But a large too would be too much I think, I feel if I did go with a cockatoo it would be a goffins or similar sized one :white1:

A Goffins may be the ideal compromise if you seek a cockatoo with less of the potential "baggage" potential compared with the larger species. They tend to be more mellow and clownish and can be more independent. None of mine are the classic "one person" birds.

First off Maddie, welcome to the forums! I've felt from experience that picking a bird is less about species and type, and more about how you naturally click with the bird. For example, when my wife and I got our first bird, we went in dead-set on an African grey, but after substantial research we simply ending up insta-bonding with my green-cheek, Zelda. Our cockatoo was next and he definitively picked us - he was described as an aggressive, anti-female alpha-male type, and nowadays he's a beloved (if eccentric) feathered kid. He's changed a lot! Goffins and bare-eyes are great birds, as are macaws, but I would recommend that you meet different birds before you make a decision. I also strongly suggest you check out local sanctuaries or shelters, as some of the best birds I have met or known are rescues, and there are more cockatoos in shelters than ANY other type of bird, simply because they are unpredictable, bordering bipolar. Our cockatoo Tiki is a shelter bird!

Macaws vs. Cockatoos...

Parrot%20vs.%20Cockatoo_zpspvgjdlpe.gif

Lots of good advice throughout the thread.

If you are set on one of these birds, I would go with a galah cockatoo or hahns macaw.
The galahs tend to be a nice "in between" of cockatiels and cockatoos. In fact, galahs can even reproduce with tiels (not recommending this, just saying). They still have a lot of cockatoo personality, but typically aren't as high strung or prone to plucking.
Hahns macaws are mini macaws. They have the macaw personality, but you can provide more space, more easily. They are loud, but not quite as much as the big guys.

With that being said, the best advice that's been stated is to spend as much time around some of these birds as you can. Every person is different and every bird is different.

Macaws vs. Cockatoos...

Parrot%20vs.%20Cockatoo_zpspvgjdlpe.gif

Hahahahaha! This was hilarious! The macaw almost seemed to do a double-take once the 'too started rocking out!

If you are set on one of these birds, I would go with a galah cockatoo or hahns macaw.
The galahs tend to be a nice "in between" of cockatiels and cockatoos. In fact, galahs can even reproduce with tiels (not recommending this, just saying). They still have a lot of cockatoo personality, but typically aren't as high strung or prone to plucking.
Hahns macaws are mini macaws. They have the macaw personality, but you can provide more space, more easily. They are loud, but not quite as much as the big guys.

With that being said, the best advice that's been stated is to spend as much time around some of these birds as you can. Every person is different and every bird is different.

What a load of rubbish! They are still prone to plucking as easily as the bigger cockatoos, seen it first hand. Things happen which set off this really upsetting behaviour and there is not much you can do to stop it. It certainly reduced me to tears to see a Galah doing this to itself.
Little bird but huge personalities, do not under estimate a Galah they are clever, complex, manipulative and require a lot of time still. If anyone reading this takes this advice you could be in for a shock IMO :)

Last edited:
Since you aren't near birds to interact with, I suggest watching videos on YouTube. Not just the cute 3 minute videos, but the in depth videos that go on about what it's like to live with any particular species. Maybe even save up to take a trip to a sanctuary / breeder / pet store that has lots of options.

I've always wanted a grey, but somehow I just keep getting ring necks (two when I was young, I have an Alex now). You'd be amazed at how much you think you want one species, when you meet another in person and it steals your heart.

Also for the cage free life you're talking about, my Alex does it. Things do get damaged, but he's very well house trained (for pooping and chewing), my life style suits it (I don't have nice things), and my bird just naturally leaves things alone unless I handle them often. He did have a cage early on but the door was never closed.

In my opinion I am terrified of owning a too they just seem like a lot to handle and the unpredictably of them kinda freaks me out. That being said I am either going with an Amazon or a Greenwing macaw for my next bird so I am not afraid of the time commitment or the messes or the INEVITABLE BITES(you WILL be bitten by whatever you choose so take that into account) I am afraid of their mental stability I have read stories of toos that are taken care of perfectly and one day they just snap and start plucking or mutilating there feet and I emotionally could not handle that. So if I were you I would get either a macaw or a smaller bird with a macaw personality like a conure.

^ Have you guys seen the original video?! It's accompanied by the classical, bleeding-ear inducing meltdown screaming. Apparently this was part of this girl's evening routine, lol

What a load of rubbish! They are still prone to plucking as easily as the bigger cockatoos, seen it first hand. Things happen which set off this really upsetting behaviour and there is not much you can do to stop it. It certainly reduced me to tears to see a Galah doing this to itself.
Little bird but huge personalities, do not under estimate a Galah they are clever, complex, manipulative and require a lot of time still. If anyone reading this takes this advice you could be in for a shock IMO :)

You are taking what I said out of context.
Galahs are still cockatoos and can still pluck (of course). Cockatoos in general tend to be more prone to plucking than most other species (of course). Percentage wise they are less prone to plucking than moluccans and umbrellas. This has most certainly been my experience from visiting rescues and belonging to many parrot groups. The number of moluccans, umbrellas, and even goffins that pluck compared to galahs is astronomical. Of course they still require a lot of time. No where did I state that any species of cockatoo is easy, which is why I started my statement with "if you are set on one of these birds." I can only speak of tendencies that I've experienced, unless there is a study that you are aware of?

Small exert from an article from someone who raised multiple galahs.. obviously anecdotal evidence, but sharing regardless:

"I am constantly recommending these birds to people who have their eyes SET on a cockatoo (FYI: I never recommend cockatoos as pets to anyone, but if you are so set on one you have to have it, this is the only one I’d tell someone to get of the cockatoo family). I first heard about them from Dave when he took a trip to Australia by himself and saw them all around. In Australia, they are called “galahs” and are pretty much pigeons there and pests. But in the US, they are a $1,200 and up priced pet parrot.
Most people want a bird like the white cockatoos (Umbrella, Moluccan. Goffin, etc) – it doesn’t seem many people are aware of rose breasted cockatoos.
Now, they are still cockatoos. So yes, they are needy and can have short attention spans! Cockatoos need constant stimulation mentally to keep them busy and growing. Trick training is great for rosies. Bondi (pictured above) will literally go into what I call “training mode”..."

Separate article. Taxological differences as well:
"
Unique Among Cockatoos
There has been some discussion whether the rose-breasted cockatoo should be classified with the white cockatoos. For those researchers and people familiar to its breeding morphology, they agree that it makes better sense to classify the rose-breasted cockatoo in its own monotypic genus (classified alone due to behavior and reproductive habits). To most aviculturists that are familiar with several white cockatoos and the rose-breasted cockatoo, they feel they also have differences in their behavior.

The behavioral and appearance of the young of the rose-breasted cockatoo is very different than those of any white cockatoo. They seem to resemble the cockatiel development more than that of a white cockatoo. The incubation and fledging times of the rose-breasted cockatoo are significantly shorter than those of the white cockatoos.

Except for the little Corella (bare-eyed cockatoo) all white cockatoos lay one or two eggs and in the wild only one usually survives. The rose-breast species will lay between four and six eggs, and most of them will survive. The rose-breast young are very aggressive and vocal as they must fight to survive in a full nest of young. This is so different that the white cockatoos that seem to have a laid-back attitude in the nest. The down of the newly hatched rose-breasted is pink compared to the yellow of all the other Cacatua species (with the possible exception of the Goffin's and that being marginal)."

Lastly, as another small anecdotal test, I encourage you to google image "plucked galah." Then google image "plucked moluccan" and "plucked umbrella cockatoo".

Last edited:
High Maintenance vs. Extremely High Maintenance...

Toos are more syble-ish... especially when they become hormonal.

Macaws require a firm hand. If you don't train the bird, the bird will train you.

Both can be playful cuddlebugs. Both require STRUCTURE. TOOS most of all.

Toos are flock birds.

Macaws are pair bond birds.

Flock birds get constant attention from their flock mates all the time and don't do so well in plucking disorders. They also take multiple mates, and their loyalties change from time to time... They don't always self entertain well... That's why they don't do well in isolation, and tend to pluck more often than some of the others.

Macaws on the other hand, mate for life, and can have over bonding issues. They require more socialization. Big macs entertain themselves, and everyone else... they are goofy, and like being the center of attention.

Hold a too too much, and it's like holding a baby too much. Set him down, he will scream his head off. Structured interaction... This is your out time. This is meal time. This is playtime with me. This is when you need to play on your own. Toos can be more excitable than macs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back