Carsick

LaurieLJT

Aug 13, 2023
Hi. I noticed my conure Bandit get carsick and I’m curious would Bandit outgrow it or not ? I’m curious if he get carsick and it wouod be no more rides for him ? only did couple of rides so far.
Thanks for your time.

Good Morning! I adopted a caique years ago that would get car sick. Leaving him home wasn’t an option for us because he thrived going out and engaging with people. 😄 I learned not to feed him an hour before getting in the car and also keeping him in a carrier on the floor so he couldn’t see out the window. Think of all the aspects of how we feel with car sickness. I hope that helps. 💛, Lou

Carsickness is a problem with younger Parrots, but at any age carsickness can occur.

Commonly, the Parrot cannot correlate the motion they are feeling and the car's interior not moving but, seeing the movement in the windows.

Our Double Yellow-headed Amazon is a road-warrior, loves to travel and we have always found that he travels best, when he is up in-full-view of what is going-on.

Like Human's each Parrot is different!

So True @SailBoat, it’s impossible to generalize parrot behavior. For me car sickness on a winding road means me sitting in the front seat, looking straight out the front window. For my traveling Caique, that was a disgusting display of comedy as he was happily in front with me, looking out the window one minute … then regurgitating vomit, and flinging it everywhere and on every passenger in the car. No one was laughing, but me. 🤣

My 'zon is OK with car travel by day, either looking out or seated below window level. I would try both and see if he prefers one or the other. BY night, he has to be covered, as the lights whizzing by us distress him a lot.

Good Morning! I adopted a caique years ago that would get car sick. Leaving him home wasn’t an option for us because he thrived going out and engaging with people. 😄 I learned not to feed him an hour before getting in the car and also keeping him in a carrier on the floor so he couldn’t see out the window. Think of all the aspects of how we feel with car sickness. I hope that helps. 💛, Lou
Thanks so much.

One of my parrots ducks everytime we drive under a bridge 😂😂😂 he also makes a bunch of noises I’ve never heard out of him when a semi drives by us or we drive by one. Car rides are always interesting.

One of my parrots ducks everytime we drive under a bridge 😂😂😂 he also makes a bunch of noises I’ve never heard out of him when a semi drives by us or we drive by one. Car rides are always interesting.
Awwww. They r smart birdies

Most Reactions

Back