Carrots are NOT edible....

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
not whole, not slices, not cooked, not raw, not mushed, not cubed, not shredded, not mixed in with my favorite foods, no way, no how. Carrots are absolutely NOT edible.

Of course if you buy an organic artichoke and spend all morning cleaning and cutting off every single spike and then stuff carrot bits in there. Of course carrots are edible then.

I didn't realize we were cheating.
IMG_1551_zpsyuv0cgoa.jpg

IMG_1554_zpskg8scpko.jpg

The person who came up with the stuffed artichoke is genius. Thank you.

NOTE:If you guys are thinking about doing it, the spikes are on almost every fold. Even the very center ones. go in as far as you can with scissors and then grab the very center with your index finger and thumb and pull out the remainder. Some of the sharpest points are in the very middle.

Last edited:
Hahahahahaha! High comedy!

Yep, that's how it us with ekkies. Got to keep throwing stuff at the wall until something sticks. Of course, what are the chances of happening upon stuffed artichoke? Hahahahahaha!

The artichoke idea is awesome. Did you cook it at all? Or just wash, snip and stuff?

Never thought about a 'choke :eek: I wonder what Amy would think??

Jim

Hahahahahaha! High comedy!

Yep, that's how it us with ekkies. Got to keep throwing stuff at the wall until something sticks. Of course, what are the chances of happening upon stuffed artichoke? Hahahahahaha!

Right? what I've discovered is that he gets tired of stuff and it takes a little work to get him to start eating it again. No matter how much variety I pack in there. It would be infuriating if he wasn't so cute about it. It's the equivalent of eating pizza for 2 days and swearing it off for a while. It's his personality and I probably unintentionally encouraged it. He wants to play all the time. First thing he does after getting weighed in the morning is play. He then eats a little and then plays more. Then he eats more and rests. He knows if I see him not eating much by noonish, that I'll eventually give in and give him organic pellets because I don't want him to starve. He stares at me and makes cute sad sounds, guilting me. I've started measuring the amount of pellets and I'm gradually reducing the amount every week. So we'll see. He's just really picky. Kale is out of the question in his bowl. But he'll eat it out of my hand because he can pull and tear it. He loves sprouts but they can't be mixed in with anything. hanging stuff on a skewer is the best thing ever one day and the next time it's dumb. It's stressful because my number one goal is to get him the nutrition he needs, but it's so hard to measure what he's actually taking in. I keep telling myself, he's young and I've only had a few months with him. That eventually he'll settle down and eat like a big bird. :) In the meantime, I have to jump though hoops and "trick" him into eating his veggies.

The artichoke idea is awesome. Did you cook it at all? Or just wash, snip and stuff?

ha, I didn't even think about cooking it. He actually hates anything that's been cooked unless it's been baked into a crisp. So it was wash, snip and stuff.

Jim
I think as long as she's not afraid of it, she'll probably enjoy it. it's merely a vessel at this point. :) a two dollar, onetime disposable vessel.

If you guys are thinking about doing it, the spikes are on almost every fold. Even the very center ones. go in as far as you can with scissors and then grab the very center with your index finger and thumb and pull out the remainder. Some of the sharpest points are in the very middle.

Yeah.

I have to hide carrots in stuff as well, and mine aren't even eckies...

On their own, carrots are usually projectiles in my house...

I used shell pasta, and just cut them up and hid it inside the pasta.

Artichokes are more like shredder toys in my house...

They don't seem to be eaten. Just picked apart and flung. I always steamed mine first. Mine like warm comfort foods.

Last edited:

Jim

My zon uses an artichoke in the same way my greenwing uses a telephone book.

And actually, you can put a screw through the base of an artichoke, with a washer on the other side, and hang it from the side of the cage. You can stuff more than just food in it. You can also hide wood toy parts in it. It becomes an edible foraging/shredder toy.

(You can also hang corn on the cob this way, and if you don't shuck it first, the leaves become a shredder toy, with the corn underneath.)

Last edited:
My Asiah Ekkie is picky, just entering this stage. But he LOVES carrots! LOl..... at least for right now. :)

That's hilarious! Carrots are universally despised by the feathered family members here too. But I do NOT have the patience to deal with artichokes. My hat's off to you for dealing with the sharp edges on that thing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back