Budgies Stretching their Wings means "OH HI!"

Tiki Bird

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgies / Parakeets
My mom and I have both owned budgies for many years at one point or another. She told me when you walk near the cage and they stretch their wings (in the images below), it means "hello!". I've always found this to be true, as it happens so often with my budgies from the past and present. But wondered if any of you have experienced the same thing with your budgies.

1647372191344.png

1647372239872.png

1647372276084.png

I wouldn't say it. At least none of my budgies was doing so.
I observed that my GCC often stretches his wings when I lie and make a bigger move (usually standing up or stretching) - it's something like "oh, you're waking up, so I'll wake up with you"

I've read that budgies often shake their wings after owner's return and it means "I missed you" but it's not confirmed info (I've found some mistakes in this book, also can't confirm this through my experience)

Every bird does different things for different reasons. In my experience though, this is usually just a way of stretching. Could be something else in your case.

nearly all my parrots do this as hi. I agree with you it's a hello. Mine is a shoulder lift most times. My budgies, GCC and quakers.
Others may have other experiences, maybe all don't do

I agree: the wing stretch or tail stretch often means “hi!”. Or it’s like, oh, I am so happy to see you I will get even more comfortable.

Another happy movement comes when you are holding your bird and it fluffs up suddenly all over and then fluffs and shakes its tail feathers. I think that is similar to a dog’s tail wagging.

My mom and I have both owned budgies for many years at one point or another. She told me when you walk near the cage and they stretch their wings (in the images below), it means "hello!". I've always found this to be true, as it happens so often with my budgies from the past and present. But wondered if any of you have experienced the same thing with your budgies.

View attachment 37003

View attachment 37004

View attachment 37005
I think they're trying to poop

My teil would always stretch her wings (sometimes both!) whenever i come back from school so i think i kinda agree with this :)

Mine just start chirping like crazy.... oh he's back he's gonna open the cage we can fly and play around. The rule of thumb is if a budgies is all chirpy.....they feel chirpy.

Most Reactions

Back