Budgie with Night Fright?

Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
UK, North West, Lancashire
Parrots
Sherbert (Male Cockateil, Grey with Emerald/Olive),
Moth (Female Budgerigar, Pied),
Melia (Female Budgerigar, Dilute)
On the 2nd May, this last Wednesday for me, I took in two young budgies that are yet to be named.
So far they have been wonderful. They both have defined personalities already and are calm with hands, though not quite ready to accept food or be handled.
According to the person who I got them from they're both "probably female" but since they have a lot of mutations (including pied on a light blue and darker blue) it's not to easy to define what gender they are from the ceres.
Name ideas are very welcome!

Now, onto what this post is about, night fright.
I know cockateils are rather prone to it and that budgies can occasionally have them but unfortunately one of my new little beauties seems to suffer from awful night fright as over the last two nights she has gone into a frenzy of flapping but not vocalising. It has happened twice in a row at roughly the same time (around midnight to one am).
The second time I got up and, using a dim light, checked to see where she was and if she was OK. Thankfully neither times has lead to injury to either of them.

I understand moving to a new place, new home and new surroundings is stressful for them but I was wondering if this could cause these random episodes of frantic flapping.
I live in the countryside so owls and night animals are around however the curtains are closed and no cat is in the room at any point.
Will she calm down or will I have to get a separate sleeping cage for her with minimal perches? My biggest concern is possible injury to either of them.
Tonight I'm going to try covering them for extra security but if that fails is there anything else I could try?
Sherbert is silent at night, he's very well behaved, so I do t think it's him spooking her.

Sorry for the low quality of the photos. They're not quite ready to leave their cage yet for better pictures.

This one is the midnight flapper.
DSC_0016 by Amadeo Vampire, on Flickr

And this little one is a cheeky little trouble maker.
DSC_0014 by Amadeo Vampire, on Flickr

Salty has had 2 night frights since we have him, almost 2-1/2 years. Since the last one, 2 years ago, I leave a hole in his cover, a heavy black cloth one, so that it's not totally dark in the cage. Hole is 6" x 8" or so, and lets in enough light so that he can see inside his cage. I made sure there are no toys or perches near his preferred sleeping perch. It's also very quite where his cage is, as 10pm is lights out and the family retires to their respective bedrooms, if they want to watch TV or whatever. Is your budgies cage in a nice quiet location?

Salty has had 2 night frights since we have him, almost 2-1/2 years. Since the last one, 2 years ago, I leave a hole in his cover, a heavy black cloth one, so that it's not totally dark in the cage. Hole is 6" x 8" or so, and lets in enough light so that he can see inside his cage. I made sure there are no toys or perches near his preferred sleeping perch. It's also very quite where his cage is, as 10pm is lights out and the family retires to their respective bedrooms, if they want to watch TV or whatever. Is your budgies cage in a nice quiet location?

Their cage is in my bedroom where it's quiet. I don't watch TV or listen to music at night, aside from rain/nature white noise sometimes.
I might try a cover with a hole, cars going passed at night with headlights might be a cause.

Congrats on your pretty new girls. They are females for sure :). Things that can help with night frights are 1) cover the cage on 3 to 3 1/2 sides to block out shadows and distractions 2) keep a nightlight on by the cage, or don’t let the room be super dark. They can’t see in the dark and that can contribute to freaking out.

After years of living with budgies and cockatiels, I never keep either without a nightlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your pretty new girls. They are females for sure :).

Good to know. ^^
I know how to tell the sex of budgies but with so many colour and pattern mutations it can be a little difficult sometimes. This means my little ladies need equally pretty names. :whiteblue:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back