Budgie with a swollen crop for around 10 months now, been to a vet with no solution. Does anyone have any info on this?

CrazyParrots

Oct 9, 2021
Parrots
Two Budgies!
My budgie duo who is around 4 years old had a slightly swollen crop that was noticeable after she ate (which is normal but her's was way bigger than usual) also she was clearing her crop very often
6308729A-B818-4F0A-B7E4-C934009D20A6.jpeg
and I took her to the vet. The vet did a swab of the crop and a xray, and even though there was no infection he put her on antibiotics (baytril) for 7 days just to be sure and nothing changed. The vet said he can see the crop is larger on the xray yet there was no obstruction or infection. Now its become increasingly larger (leaning towards on side) and im at a lost. I've ruled out iodine deficiency which can cause larger crop because I feed roudybush which contains iodine. And of course impaction and infection like sour crop is out of the picture. Does anyone know what this could be?

This is unusual. Does she drink a lot of water? Eating lots of pellets and then drinking water will cause the dry pellets to swell and could fill up her crop. Does she only eat pellets? I’ve seen it recommended that budgies should only get thirty percent of their diet from pellets and the rest should be fresh foods and high quality seeds. My budgies barely eat any pellets but I realize not everyone agrees with that. I’ve used kefir ( like liquid yogurt) to help with a number of crop issues. It might be worth a try for your cute little budgie.

Maybe a second opinion; maybe you can find one here??
Good luck!
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back