Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
YYYAAAYYY!!!!!!! Today Buddy let me put Venus' harness on him, not his Venus'!!! Now tell me that is not jealousy and/or envy, LOL!!! He let me tighten it and I took him outside with it on. I have been telling Husband I want Buddy to wear his harness because he would be the fun one to take and not missing a beat, we are standing outside the front door, a car passes and on queue Buddy yells, "HELLLLLLLLOOOOOOO!". He said Hello to birds, to cars, threw kisses to me, wolf whistled so we are planning a trip to Petsmart with him. Now to get his harness on him. His is red, Venus' is purple and a little bigger. This will be fun and interesting.

Oh! And he tried to fly off, he didn't get very far, it was like flying a kite so I can say it works and I'm comfortable with the harness and Buddy being fully flighted. LOL!!! It was comical, he's flying in the same spot, not going anywhere, lol!!

WOW ,that's great !!! Your right their was no way he was letting Venus have all the fun :)

Good thing he was on the harness when he made a flight for it;) He got tired of Venus having all the fun it sounds like. Now you'll have to bring both:D Best of luck with that!

Wow! That is SO awesome that you got it on him!! :D Amazons tend to not be so super co-operative (all the time) with the harnesses, so that is QUITE the accomplishment. BRAVO! Well done!! I'm sure Buddy is going to absolutely LOVE the outdoor time with you. :)

And for anyone curious about how long it took, Buddy took 8 months and competition from Venus, I mean motivation. I took her with me this morning to pick up medicine and by sonic to get a tea. So he wasn't happy this morning, lol.

I had him on my shoulder and Venus' harness was on the night stand. I put her on the bed to put it on her. I put Buddy on the bed, showed him the harness. At this point no issue. As he turned I slipped the head section over and jumped but he let me gently place the straps where they need to go, no fussing, no biting, no crying! He was frustrated with me tugging on the strap to adjust it close to his body, especially his gut but I was shocked at how well he did! I took him in the livingroom, showed Husband and his jaw hit the floor in shock. Buddy didn't tug and he seemed happy to be out. We will take him to Petsmart tomorrow. My one worry, he's not potty trained, another tough subject with Buddy.

My one worry, he's not potty trained, another tough subject with Buddy.

Here's your solution to that problem Tracey! :D BBPC2 Shoulder Cape by Big Bird Products Parrot - BIRD THINGS FOR HUMANS

LOL I understand that people do use these or else they wouldn't keep selling them, and no disrespect to those who do, but for myself, I don't think I can be paid enough to wear one in public!! :eek: I'll have to admit though, it might beat having bird poop dripping down your back lol.

Congrats on getting him to wear his harness! I need to train Lola to wear hers. I won't try it on Willie cause somehow he's terrified of being outside.

Wow Tracey and Buddy! Buddy's first trip in his harness and he was comfortable enough to say Hello to everyone, that's fantastic! I guess all he needed was a little competition from Venus.

Congratulations!!! I am absolutely dying to get Sammy in his harness!

My one worry, he's not potty trained, another tough subject with Buddy.

Here's your solution to that problem Tracey! :D BBPC2 Shoulder Cape by Big Bird Products Parrot - BIRD THINGS FOR HUMANS

LOL I understand that people do use these or else they wouldn't keep selling them, and no disrespect to those who do, but for myself, I don't think I can be paid enough to wear one in public!! :eek: I'll have to admit though, it might beat having bird poop dripping down your back lol.

I was so excited to see what this was and when I opened it, I looked at Buddy and said "not even for you", lol!!! I thought before I opened it, it would be something white like a burping rag or puppy pad that goes over the shoulder. It's been giving me ideas though, like making something similar in a solid color but with material that is wipeable so the poo can be removed without leaving residue when it happens, more of a vest style, not a bib or smock style.

I have my parrot shirts but Buddy trashes them on a regular basis, thank goodness they wash up well. I can't wait to take Buddy out, he's the bird that will charm because he never shuts up and will talk to everyone ever so sweetly. Husband said I need to wear a shirt that says "I BITE!" with Buddy, lol.

It's pouring today so we'll see how the weather plays out to take Buddy out. I was hoping to add a quick trip to a park but that doesn't look like it will happen.

Most Reactions

Back