Broken beak

Jorxgue

May 4, 2023
Parrots
Sun Conure
My sun conure broke
its beak need advice
Upper mantle is cracked on 2 sided and has dent in middle. Curious on what to do or what my vet can do

Attachments

• 20230504_105935.jpg
    20230504_105935.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 20230504_110028.jpg
    20230504_110028.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 20230504_110022.jpg
    20230504_110022.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 140
My sun conure broke its beak last night.
Not dangling or detached but dry blood in cracks
Cutting up soft foods for him
He seems to want to cuddle more
I'm really worried and can't find any vets near me that can get him in. Curious if this looks like it can heal. If it can I can feed hims soft stuff a and care for him with pain meds till better

Attachments

• 20230504_110028.jpg
    20230504_110028.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230504_110022.jpg
    20230504_110022.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230504_105935.jpg
    20230504_105935.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 61
How did he manage to injure his beak like that?
He could be in a lot of pain, what is the soonest appointment you can get?

Edit: Continue to offer him soft foods, is he still eating?

Sorry you are going through something like this!

My sun conure broke its beak last night.
Not dangling or detached but dry blood in cracks
Cutting up soft foods for him
He seems to want to cuddle more
I'm really worried and can't find any vets near me that can get him in. Curious if this looks like it can heal. If it can I can feed hims soft stuff a and care for him with pain meds till better
Welcome to the forums @Jorxgue, though I am sorry for the circumstances that brought you here.

I agree with @zERo, that beak may be causing your baby quite a bit of pain, and unfortunately it's difficult to say if it's structural integrity may have been compromised. The link below contains a list of avian vets, not sure if the ones you have tried are among them, but you may find someone here who might be able to see you a bit sooner ...

I hope this helps you, and I wish you and your little one all the very best 🙏 🙏 🙏

Do you have a vet appointment yet? I'd go to the vet. I haven't dealt with a beak fracture before, but beak injuries can be really painful. The vet can prescribe pain meds and do a full exam to make sure your bird can still eat properly. I think sometimes they can surgically glue the fractured pieces.

Your conure is a cutie! Hopefully this heals smoothly for you both :)

My sun conure broke
its beak need advice
Upper mantle is cracked on 2 sided and has dent in middle. Curious on what to do or what my vet can do
How did this happen? Poor thing- it must HURT! A bird's beak is pretty sensitive. From what I understand it will heal but in the meantime the vet needs to get involved and make feeding recommendations. Does he eat any soft foods?

Clearly your parrot has an over-grown upper and it appears to be cracked on either side of the upper and broken in two place as it extends beyond the lower with one bit of it already gone.

As commended on above, the amount of work needed will require a professional either an Avian Vet and/or an Avian Tech with specific training. The cracks on either side of the upper, as it (they) pass into its root, will likely need to be stabilized an allowed it/them to grow-out, which could take two or more years.

The two lower section of the upper need to be worked on with a plan in place to first reshape to allow a proper bite with the lower and then down sizing the length to reduce the leverage that have likely caused the crack(s). I say two cracks, one of either side as that is what I have seen commonly in the past.

Great news, this is all repair-able and the saving grace is the wonderful materials that Human Dentistry has developed.

The Bad news is that this upper needs to be stabilized 'quickly' as it could come apart and you could be faced with hand feeding (think mush) your Parrot for a couple of years!

Edit: Sorry my old eyes saw the upper crack went it on closer inspection, looks like a section has flacked off on the outer side.

Last edited:
How did this happen? Poor thing- it must HURT! A bird's beak is pretty sensitive. From what I understand it will heal but in the meantime the vet needs to get involved and make feeding recommendations. Does he eat any soft foods?
He is continuing to eat any soft fruit I cut up for him. Not giving him seeds or anything hard. Sleeps well and is still active. Less lethargic than he was. Cuddles with me in the morning. Beak not bleeding. Just not as vocal

Clearly your parrot has an over-grown upper and it appears to be cracked on either side of the upper and broken in two place as it extends beyond the lower with one bit of it already gone.

As commended on above, the amount of work needed will require a professional either an Avian Vet and/or an Avian Tech with specific training. The cracks on either side of the upper, as it (they) pass into its root, will likely need to be stabilized an allowed it/them to grow-out, which could take two or more years.

The two lower section of the upper need to be worked on with a plan in place to first reshape to allow a proper bite with the lower and then down sizing the length to reduce the leverage that have likely caused the crack(s). I say two cracks, one of either side as that is what I have seen commonly in the past.

Great news, this is all repair-able and the saving grace is the wonderful materials that Human Dentistry has developed.

The Bad news is that this upper needs to be stabilized 'quickly' as it could come apart and you could be faced with hand feeding (think mush) your Parrot for a couple of years!

Edit: Sorry my old eyes saw the upper crack went it on closer inspection, looks like a section has flacked off on the outer side.
He is continuing to eat chopped up fruit. Pooping fine. He is a little more fluffy than usual. No bleeding. Sleeps well. Not quite as active but still Flys around. Soonest apt I can get near me (redlands ca) is may 12. His beak does seem to be flaky in front

IMG_1221.jpeg

This is my Jenday conure Kiwi. She has what one would consider to be a flaky beak. Just so you have an idea.

Those cracks are very concerning for your parrot. Not to mention depending on the how deep those fractures are your conure is going to have huge issues with chewing up toys to keep that beak filed down. Definitely keep your vet appointment.

View attachment 49997
This is my Jenday conure Kiwi. She has what one would consider to be a flaky beak. Just so you have an idea.

Those cracks are very concerning for your parrot. Not to mention depending on the how deep those fractures are your conure is going to have huge issues with chewing up toys to keep that beak filed down. Definitely keep your vet appointment.
And some itchy pin feathers on her head and neck jet begging to be scrtched, too!

And some itchy pin feathers on her head and neck jet begging to be scrtched, too!
I crunch her pin feathers between my finger nails to get them loose. Unless they around her head… especially the ears. I’ve been bit many times, but I generally elect to pick my battles wisely with my parrots. I’d prefer not to feel the wrath of Kiwi 😂

Most Reactions

Back