Blood stop powder - Kwik Stop causes liver failure in birds

OttoVonRuthless

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 20, 2023
Parrots
Talking Fancy Lutino Parakeet, 3yrs old- 60 word vocabulary. Named Otto Von Ruthless
Just wanted to let everyone know Otto's Avian Veterinarian said the powder causes liver failure in birds! The Styptic gel is safe to use on birds. The powder unfortunately is commonly used by vets and sold in stores with advertising it's safe for cats, dogs and birds. That is false for birds. Picture is a common one used in pet stores and at vets in the USA.
His vet has been practicing since 1991, she seems very knowledgeable and really cares about her patients in general.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240801-093909~2.png
    Screenshot_20240801-093909~2.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Correct a-mundo!

Use common corn starch for this purpose, works great and is totally non-toxic.
I did not know about cornstarch! Thank you. Luckily I've never had situation that called for stopping bleeding for any of my pets- birds etc.

Just wanted to let everyone know Otto's Avian Veterinarian said the powder causes liver failure in birds! The Styptic gel is safe to use on birds. The powder unfortunately is commonly used by vets and sold in stores with advertising it's safe for cats, dogs and birds. That is false for birds. Picture is a common one used in pet stores and at vets in the USA.
His vet has been practicing since 1991, she seems very knowledgeable and really cares about her patients in general.
Some facts would be nice instead of hearsay. Ive used this on my conures foot.

Some facts would be nice instead of hearsay. Ive used this on my conures foot.
I'm only reporting a warning from an Avian vet who I choose to trust, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone. It's up to you to do your own research / ask your vet and decide how you want to care for your bird. Take it or leave it.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
It has bentonite (clay) , alum, diatomaceous earth (inert but mildly abrasive) and ammonium chloride. I assume that the kidney problem is with the salts: the alum and particularly the ammonium chloride. These could hurt the bird if it ingested them, for instance if it preened or licked the area with the powder. I’d guess that the powder would be generally safe for a bird if it is rarely used and the bird shows no interest in eating the powder. Otherwise corn starch or another coagulant may be better. The quantity would matter a lot to how much effect it had.

It has bentonite (clay) , alum, diatomaceous earth (inert but mildly abrasive) and ammonium chloride. I assume that the kidney problem is with the salts: the alum and particularly the ammonium chloride. These could hurt the bird if it ingested them, for instance if it preened or licked the area with the powder. I’d guess that the powder would be generally safe for a bird if it is rarely used and the bird shows no interest in eating the powder. Otherwise corn starch or another coagulant may be better. The quantity would matter a lot to how much effect it had.
I wonder if it gets into the bloodstream since you're using it on an open wound?

Most Reactions

Back