Bites at random things

Cads

Dec 6, 2023
Parrots
1 Green cheeked conure
My GCC who is almost 1 year old bites our hands when we touch or pick up random things, mainly bottles or long-shaped things but also some spice packets. He is a sweetheart almost all of the time and it seems to be instinct most of the time as he never bites or gets stressed when we pick him up, any help would be great :)

Welcome to the forums

Sounds like your bird is likely biting out of fear. My conure Tom will bite when he sees me holding something he doesn’t like, usually once he gets used to seeing it though, he stops.
Encouraging your bird to go near the objects that cause biting can help. Start by setting whatever it is a few feet away and give him treats if he has a non violent reaction, lol.

Ah yes. The old "that's scary don't touch it, drop it" bite. I found the best way to deal with this ,at least with Albie , was to teach her the command " touch it" to show her it wasn't scary or dangerous.

I start with doing it with something she loves and when she touches it I reward while gradually introducing her most favourite treat ever (in Albies case ,sunflower seed) for this training I only used it for this and nothing else because I need her desire for the seed to be greater than her fear of an object.

Once I got her touching her safe things on command consistently, I moved on to things that wasn't scary but she didn't interact with and got her touching those and then I would throw in one scary thing.

Now I can get her to touch pretty much anything and it's almost stopped the bites.

She still doesn't like the dish washing liquid bottle ....,

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back