Birdy Sign language

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Birdy Sign language With video

Everything we read tells us to watch our fids for their signs i.e. body language, feather puffing, and eye pinning. After getting bitten by s SC2 while reaching to give her a scratch I formed my own sign language for birds and it's really easy to teach and most important of all it removes communications, because when we know what is expected of us or our bird without question everyone goes away happy with the results.
Here is the sign it's the come-hither signal (we all know it the index finger extended and crooked repeatedly ) now turn it over. Show this to your bird and slowly and I mean s l o w l y move over and start scratching your birds on the head as he relaxes and starts leaning into the scratch you do the unthinkable you stop and pull away (you fiend) as your bird watches you repeat the signal and again give the scratch do this until the mere movement of the finger your bird tucks it's head and readies itself for a scratch, and wa la you've taught you bird sign language that anyone how wants to give your bird a scratch can do and your bird will understand why this unknown person is reaching towards them no frighten aggression no running away, actual understanding and more importantly no bites.
The other side of this is when your bird see the signal and ignores it or moves away respect their wishes don't push yourself or let others push themselves on your bird. Sorry this is sooooo long winded. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/Friedsoup/BirdySignLanguage.gif

Last edited:
Forrest hates to have his head scratched, I will definitely try this with him. If it works on him it will work for any bird. LOL

that's a really good idea :O! i'll have to try that with oscar.

Forrest hates to have his head scratched, I will definitely try this with him. If it works on him it will work for any bird. LOL
I won't make him like it but he will know whats coming so watch his body language if he's saying no stop.

I already 'sign' to my birds... I think it's a habit of mine, because I work with intellectually disabled people, and you always have to let them know what you're going to do, otherwise they can have bad behaviours such a screaming, self harm, biting/punching their carers etc. etc...

I already 'sign' to my birds... I think it's a habit of mine, because I work with intellectually disabled people, and you always have to let them know what you're going to do, otherwise they can have bad behaviours such a screaming, self harm, biting/punching their carers etc. etc...
Please add any signs you have taught I'd be interested to learn and so would others here .

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back