Birdie Bread Recipe help

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
We just left for vacation, and forgot Nico’s Harrison’s birdie bread at home. To him this is an emergency as he loves his birdie bread. We also put his meds on the bread.

Does anyone have a recipe that they make at home that they can post below?

Nico thanks everyone for their help

IMG_1508.jpeg

Its not rocket science, it is just a muffin type recipe at base, really. Just leave out the added sugar and salt. So ...

Dry:
- 1 3/4 cups "flour", where it can be all whole wheat flour, or all almond flour, or coconut flour, or combinations of these including parrot pellets turned into a "flour" in a blender - very sneaky. Lately I've been using equal parts WW, pellet flour and Almond flour, but there has been no sign my birds actually care.
- 1TB Baking powder
Add seeds of choice, oats, grated or small veggies, dried fruit bits to taste. For my birds there are usually grated carrots, peas, half a banana, some dried cranberries, chopped kale, oats, etc. As much as you want so long as it holds together when the batter is mixed. Hard to mess up.

Wet:
- 2 eggs beaten - you can grind up one of more of the shells as well if you have a blender,
- 6 TB water or something like almond or oat milk. Non-dairy of course.

Bake in over at 350-360F for 20-22 minutes. Makes about a dozen "muffins" or bake in a baking pan and cut up.

I feel like the details are up to you and your bird. Just wing it. I make this at home about every three weeks, a double recipe, using actual reusable muffin cups, about 1 muffin per day for my 2 birds. Freeze and thaw when needed for anything more than a few days worth.

Of course any meds should be added after cooking and cooling. Good luck.

Last edited:
Its not rocket science, it is just a muffin type recipy at base, really. Just leave out the added sugar and salt. So ...

Dry:
- 1 3/4 cups "flour", where it can be all whole wheat flour, or all almond flour, or coconut flour, or combinations of these including parrot pellets turned into a "flour" in a blender - very sneaky. Lately I've been using equal parts WW, pellet flour and Almond flour, but there has been no sign my birds actually care.
- 1TB Baking powder
Add seeds of choice, oats, grated or small veggies, dried fruit bits to taste. For my birds there are usually grated carrots, peas, half a banana, some dried cranberries, chopped kale, oats, etc. As much as you want so long as it holds together when the batter is mixed. Hard to mess up.

Wet:
- 2 eggs beaten - you can grind up one of more of the shells as well if you have a blender,
- 6 TB water or something like almond or oat milk. Non-dairy of course.

Bake in over at 350-360F for 20-22 minutes. Makes about a dozen "muffins" or bake in a baking pan and cut up.

I feel like the details are up to you and your bird. Just wing it. I make this at home about every three weeks, a double recipy, using actual reusable muffin cups, about 1 muffin per day for my 2 birds. Freeze and thaw when needed for anything more than a few days worth.

Of course any meds should be added after cooking and cooling. Good luck.
Thank you 😊 you are a life saver

I've been told ground up pellets can make for a good birdy bread. Add an egg and chop and there ya go. Bake and Voila! Birdy bread! Otherwise i just use pancake mix and throw in some of their chop. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back