Behavioural changes in 6y.o Male IRN - constant screaming and screeching

Sep 8, 2024
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Hi everyone,
Thank you for your time.

I am seeking some help on my 6y.o male IRN. Lately, my baby has been so irritative and constantly screaming, at almost all hours during the day. We have a 2 year old sausage dog as well with no other pets. In the morning he screams, after given food he screams (stops for a bit to eat but then starts), just screams non-stop for no apparent reason other than to get my attention for the whole day (not during the night). The reason I am asking help is because it is unusual - he has always been relatively quiet for an IRN and I cannot think of anything that has dramatically changed his life that has enabled this behaviour. He has lots of toys (I just bought him new sets because I thought he may be bored), tried him on a different range of food (he is very fussy, when I buy him specific IRN seed formulas he just picks out the sunflower seeds and leaves everything else, but he likes some fruit and veggies). My latest theory is that he is acting this way because it is now spring and he is moody. Could I be correct? I was playing with him the other night and he tried to mate with me! I am a full-time university student and on days when I study (either on campus or in my room alone with the dog) he is so much worse, my family often has to take him outside on our balcony and close the glass sliding door and put a blankie over his cage to calm him down. This almost always works, however, it is obviously not an optimal welfare state for him. I thought at times when he may be overstimulated that he screams because he wants the blankie over him to relax, but I don't feel comfortable doing that for a large portion of the day. My neighbours have started to complain about him and it is breaking my heart because he has never been this bad. I have a background in animal behaviour and welfare, however not much when it comes to birds. Could anyone who has gone through this please help me out? My family and neighbours are nearing their wits end (despite this I will never rehome him or anything like that but just want the best welfare for him).
Thank you all <3

Ah, hormones. Every year its different. SOme mating seasons are relatively mild, some average and some are just feathered hell. Example, my Amazon usualy has average or mild mating season. For some reason this year was not only extraordinarily long, but very intense, and other 'zon owners in the Northern hemisphere reported the same thing. And no one knows precisely why or what causes this.
You can minimize the effects but never eliminate them.

Cut any sugary snacks and veggies, like corn.
Make sure he is getting 12 hours of good quiet sleep
No touching anywhere except on head and neck
Remove or eliminate any dark hidey spots or cubby holes
Provide lots of chewing toys and remove any preening toys, anything that can produce nest building-like materials, shredded papers , stuff like that.

And most important remember - this too shall pass!

Ah, hormones. Every year its different. SOme mating seasons are relatively mild, some average and some are just feathered hell. Example, my Amazon usualy has average or mild mating season. For some reason this year was not only extraordinarily long, but very intense, and other 'zon owners in the Northern hemisphere reported the same thing. And no one knows precisely why or what causes this.
You can minimize the effects but never eliminate them.

Cut any sugary snacks and veggies, like corn.
Make sure he is getting 12 hours of good quiet sleep
No touching anywhere except on head and neck
Remove or eliminate any dark hidey spots or cubby holes
Provide lots of chewing toys and remove any preening toys, anything that can produce nest building-like materials, shredded papers , stuff like that.

And most important remember - this too shall pass!
Thank you so much for your kind response. It's nice to know I'm not alone lol!!
Here in Australia the weather has been warming up so much, so I figured it may have played a role in his behaviour. I really appreciate your response, and I will be sure to implement all of your recommendations.

Thanks again!!
:)

Most Reactions

Back