Bathing

annette

Oct 13, 2010
North Yorkshire
Parrots
Senengal called Sid
hi I'm new to Parrots and have just had Sid under a week, have been trying to find some info on senegals and bathing, on one site it said to just mist them from a bottle and on another site it said to but a shallow dish in their gage.

What are everbodys experiences with their Senegals and bathing, and how often should they be allowed to bathe. :green:

I think it's pretty much a similar thread for all birds.

Most like a daily bath!

Some like the spray like Cal prefers. She likes a dish of water but has more fun with the spray lol. Some like bathing in the actual sink with the tap on.....

Try and see!

Moisture is important for their feather conditioning though so if all else failed, they WOULD use their water bottle/bowl lol.

I'd try the misting first to see if he likes it or not, if not then you can offer him a shallow bowl to bath in, whatever works I suppose, but bathing should be encouraged either way for healthy plumage :)

dusty has never liked Misting he does however, like a bath. I set up a shallow pie dish in the sink and fill it with water. He loves it when i leave the water running. He is always excited to bathe.

I agree with bobby.It should be emcouraged not forced. If your bird doesn't like water on him then don't bath him.

When I just got my girl I also started a thread asking about bathing because my girl did not want to go close to water. I did however give her a bowl with shallow water everyday and after about 2 weeks she took a good bath out of her own. I think that they first need to find the confidence to get wet because it makes them so vulnerable. She now waits almost every morning for me to give her her bowl with luke warm water and then she dives in. :D

She hates the spray bottle and runs away like crazy.

The one problem with the spray bottle is that you have to be careful the water is not to hot and not to cold. Another concern is that you have to becareful not to spray them in the eyes or right around there nostril. I know plenty of people that did this by accident and there bird would not "talk" (come near) them for weeks. Like the silent treatment btu from a bird. Please tell me if I am wrong here.

The one problem with the spray bottle is that you have to be careful the water is not to hot and not to cold. Another concern is that you have to becareful not to spray them in the eyes or right around there nostril. I know plenty of people that did this by accident and there bird would not "talk" (come near) them for weeks. Like the silent treatment btu from a bird. Please tell me if I am wrong here.

I have never worried about the water being too cold and have just got it from the tap - if you live in very cold climates I guess you would need to check. The advice given by everyone is what is needed. I have a large water bowl in Rosie's cage so she can bath if she is in her cage. I then used this technique:

1. I sprayed water on my plants on a nearby table so that Rosie got used to the noise of the bottle misting.

2. I then waited until she was on top of her cage and sprayed from high up down to her and made sure she could get away from the spray to a dry area if she wanted to.

3. I then moved the spray bottle closer and she has loved it ever since. I guess it depends on the bird but and I sprayed my plants for a couple of days before I even attempted to come near her with it.

I spray from above and from below to get to her chest area. She will actually tilt her head to get her face sprayed. It all depends on how close you spray and what strentgh the mist is set to.

Watch for signs from your bird - Rosie will run in and out of the mist, waggle her tail and preen. If your bird flattens its feathers and ducks low back off and try again the next day. If its a warm day I spray her outside and let her sit outside to dry. The experience must be pleasurable. :) Make it an activity that is exciting and fun and enhances bonding.

Most Reactions

Back