Bandit and Frost genetic questions

songlake

Mar 25, 2014
Florida
Parrots
2 moustached parakeets, 2 Sun conures, 20 cockatiels, 11 English budgies
Here are Bandit (wf male) and Frost (female? wf lutio)

I lost Spikey my baby tiel, she jumped off the play top for me and couldn't glide :( She died a few hours later. My husband knew I was upset about it and offered to get me another Cockatiel. I said I wanted a white one (spikey was pied pearl wf) and so we went back to where I bought spikey and one of her siblings was there, the white faced lutio I wanted. I did clear up some questions about spikey's genetics (although not needed any longer :( ) But since Frost is spikey's sibling they might come in handy one day.

Spikey and Frost's mother is wf lutio, dad is cinnamon pearl
So, if I understand this right spikey was definitely a female?
Dad would be split to(or showing) wf and split to lutio in order to produce Frost? (he is cinnamon)
Would we be able to determine frost's gender based on sex linked mutations? Pet shop owner says she's a female but he based that on feeling her pelvis.

I've read about wf lutio quirks and know she should never be mated to another wf lutio due to the bald gene, would bandit be a good mate for her, his genetics are unknown? I forgot to ask the guy I bought him from anything other than his age, he's less than 1 year and just finishing his baby molt. Uh assuming Frost IS a girl, my luck being what it is, Frost is probably a male. she's a good bit larger than spikey was but Spikey weaned early on her own while frost still wants to be babied a bit. Frost is weaned but not eating seeds, prefers mushy foods or stiff handfeeding formula and only plays with seeds.

Frost has never uttered a peep or squeak. I know she's not deaf cause her crest reacts to noises the other birds make or if she's curious about something else, but other than teeny sounds I can only just hear when she's on my shoulder she doesn't make a noise at all. She is more active than spikey ever was although a little more shy but she's getting better.

I'm trying to learn the genetics but it's a little more involved than genetics I'm used to using (fish).
:white1:

Sorry to hear about Spike! :(

Spikey wasn't a pied, but was split pied. If the father was a cinnamon, then Spike should have been a cinnamon as well, if a hen. From the pictures you posted, Spike wasn't a cinnamon.... so if dad is in fact cinnamon, Spike would have been a boy.

And so if the mother is a Whiteface Lutino, there is no way to visually sex Frost.

Yes, the father would have to be split whiteface lutino to produce Frost if he's a cinnamon pearl.

Thanks MonicaMc. How could you tell spikey would be split to pied?

I read somewhere, which I cant currently remember, that most wf lutios are female. Why would that be?

edit* Spikey did actually have two white patches behind her head which were never shown in pictures, wouldn't that be a sign she/he was pied, just not a heavy pied?

Last edited:
Spikey was split pied due to the markings on the back of his/her neck. Spike didn't have any actual pied feathers... and I'm starting to think that Spike could have been a male, which means that both parents carry the pearl mutation.

I would need to see a photo of the parents and other chicks to be sure, though.

I never thought to take pictures of the siblings, there was a cinnamon pearl tho that I remember and of course lots of pearls(I think they all were pearl except for Frost). Frost is the one white I mentioned when I was talking about spikey when I got him.

I miss the little guy a lot or girl

If Frost proves to be a female, a year or so down the line, would bandit be a good mate or does she need to go with a normal grey type so as not to end up with bald babies? He looks like a normal white face but he was kept with others his age one was a cinnamon hen, several were grey hens, one normal male and one other white faced male. I cant say with certainty they were his siblings though, even though the guy I bought him from was a breeder he did not point out parents to Bandit. None caged with Bandit were pearls if that makes any difference. I'd hate to end up with a flock of bald babies, although I'm sure I'd still love them all. Rather know my risks ahead of time before I allow bandit and frost to bond

I just wanted to say oooohh... Beautiful tiels!! Whiteface lutino is gorgeous, and Bandit is my favorite tiel color. Wf gray male :)

If all offspring are pearls, that would indicate that both parents are pearls, which also means that Frost is a pearl.

If Frost is female, then yes, it would be ok to breed her to Bandit. All offspring will be whitefaces, all males split to the mutations that Frost is. If Bandit is carrying any extra mutations, you may see those mutations pop up in the offspring.

Thanks MonicaMc, I knew I could count on you to answer my questions and was hoping you would respond :)

@RavensGryf Thanks :) I Love the wf males too, especially the "plain" ones like Bandit. It's quite funny, while showing my husband pics online of the wf tiels he was like..hmm yeah ok. Then about a week after I bought bandit he commented what a striking bird Bandit was. And when we went to get Frost I had her out of the cage and being boxed before he knew what I was getting. He was staring at a pretty little baby who was WF but was pied to the point it's head had a white Mohawk stripe, I must say I was strongly attracted to that baby but I had set my mind to Frost before I even got there. I could have had them both for $100 but duh! I just had to bring hubby along for the ride. He sooo holds me back from my impulses :( But anyway, I got off the story there. He's like why do you want that ugly bird (Frost was a bit dingy) when you could have this beautiful baby, and you did say you wanted a young one. I sorta just ignored him and carried on getting Frost but it was a close call on the Mohawk baby. So now that Frost is cleaned up and friendly if a bit overactive at times, she's on his shoulder when I'm busy because she really just doesn't care who she's with as long as it's human. I catch him watching her and talking to her and he doesn't mind at all she's with him or even poops on him.

It's nice to get the baby you really want. It just felt right to you with Frost instead of the Mohawk one despite interesting color. Was it maybe good you brought your husband along? LOL. Good choice... I think Bandit and Frost are a beautiful and striking looking pair together.

Most Reactions

Back