Balance nip?

I'm guessing after that you may not have been one with him, either :11:. The best policy is to use the grasp immediately after the bird squeezes too hard or pinches you. They need to associate it with their behavior.

So right after Niko pinches me I should do that "maneuver"? Meaning, I'll be putting my fingers in his beak, correct? .....hold on....I'm off to buy some band aids first....:31:
What I've found to work best is while your fingers are still in your bird's beak after it has squeezed them too hard, immediately manipulate them into the grasp position and pry the beak halves apart while saying something like: "TOO HARD!" If you do this each time your bird uses too much pressure on your fingers, the bird will get the message that squeezing hard results in the pry grasp. That's the basic concept.

I will have a go at it again. I'm hopeful that sooner or later I get the hang of it (hopefully SOONER). :)

Thanks again, Plax. This is some terrific information, and SO extremely helpful. :)

Now off I go .... cuddle time with Niko and the Amazons. :D

Plax, I thank you, too.

The video was short, sweet & very instructive.

You're all quite welcome. But please don't forget that Joe suggested the method here initially. I merely explained it a bit further and made a demonstration video. Hopefully the technique will prove helpful for each of you.

With the strength of a macaw beak, I'm surprised it works. Can a macaw just overpower you if they want?

With the strength of a macaw beak, I'm surprised it works. Can a macaw just overpower you if they want?
If you apply the grasp correctly it will save you from broken skin. The Macaw may still be able to make it uncomfortable on your fingers with pressure, but it won't be able to cut into your flesh because you will be locking the beak's cutting edge from pressing against your skin.

Thanks, any chance we can make this a sticky?
If people are interested maybe we can do macaw training videos and put in a sticky.
I got the idea of the macaw training videos from the bird tricks dot com thread. Maybe it will help drive some traffic to the site.

Casey: I know nothing about the requirements for making something a sticky here.

But for those with nippy Macaws somewhat smaller than a large Green-wing, I've made a video of an alternative beak grasp method that may work even better. (I even shot a video afterwards to show that Maynard harbored no ill will ;).)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSKnRBMh4mk"]alternative beak finger-hold example - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_3SDdQgyq8"]no hard feelings :) - YouTube[/ame]

Plax, Thank you for helping and posting this video, this is exactly right. This method was taught to me by a guy who passed away who called himself the parrot whisper.
I beleive his name was Ken but forgot his last name, he was wonderful with parrots of any size or behavior issues. He would really enjoy the meaness Macaw or parrot an owner would have and would not dare to even attempt to hold the parrot or even touch it.
You can most likely find his old videos on youtube.

This method really works for Macaws who like to bite but you have to repete this method over and over until the Macaw gets it. Best of luck to all and again thank you Plax. Joe

But for those with nippy Macaws somewhat smaller than a large Green-wing, I've made a video of an alternative beak grasp method that may work even better. (I even shot a video afterwards to show that Maynard harbored no ill will ;).)

alternative beak finger-hold example - YouTube
no hard feelings :) - YouTube

AWESOME clips again, Plax. :) Thank you so so much!!! I think I'll try that alternative one on Niko...IF need be. He's been all right today. :rolleyes:

I particularly liked the "no hard feelings" one. LMAO. Niko ALWAYS has hard feelings if he feels I treated him ill. (Yup, I'm SUCH a bad mom :54:)

Oh, and Maynard's eyes spoke VOLUMES. lololol.

You're very welcome, Joe and Wendy. I'm always happy to help. Hopefully the grasp methods may be of benefit to those dealing with nippers.

Does anyone know an admin to make this a sticky?
Or add the video to a sticky thread?

If you want, I can always post both of the vids in a new short and sweet original thread message so people won't have to drill though all of the replies. Just let me know.

If you want, I can always post both of the vids in a new short and sweet original thread message so people won't have to drill though all of the replies. Just let me know.

That would be SO very helpful, Plax. :)

That would be SO very helpful, Plax. :)
All posted. But if someone wants to make it a sticky that's beyond me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back