Baby Yellow Sided GCC is flapping wing very frequently

tywaffles

Jul 6, 2018
I got a yellow sided GCC 3 days ago, and things have been going great, he has already started taking treats and stepping up, BUT he has started randomly flapping his left wing, more and more frequently, and sometimes both his wings, but rarely his right, he also makes a little quacking noise when he does it, i should note he doesnt have a loss of appetite at all, and has been eating and drinking normally, I have heard this is an attention thing, but I have also heard this is a serious health issue sign, I am worried sick, any ideas?

Has he gone to see his Certified Avian Vet for his first Wellness-Exam yet? If not, this is the perfect reason to get it done ASAP. All new birds should have a Wellness-Exam done only by a Certified Avian Vet within the first couple of weeks of them coming to their new home anyway...I don't know your experience with owning birds, but all birds, regardless of the species, age, sex, etc., possess an innate survival-instinct to hide any and all outward signs of illness, injury, and pain for as long as they possibly can, and they are all extremely good at it. They do this to protect themselves and the rest of their flock from predators, as a sick/injured bird, or a bird that outwardly appears to be "weak", makes them a prime-target for predators, and by default also puts their entire flock at risk...

As a result of this innate instinct to hide all outward signs/symptoms of illness and pain, usually by the time we as people first notice that a bird may be sick or injured, the bird has actually been sick or injured for quite a long time, sometimes months and months, even over a year in some cases. This is why the percentage of birds that are taken to the vet that survive is so very low, not because most CAV's don't know what they are doing, or are "vampires only out for money who kill birds" as I heard someone say in a very irresponsible YouTube video the other day...It's because by the time most pet birds are taken by their owners to the vet, they have been sick for a long time, and are often near death. For example, if a bird has a bacterial infection and hides all signs of it for 2-3 months, then suddenly just stops eating or drinking, starts sleeping all day, etc., and the owner takes them to their CAV and tells them that "this just started yesterday", they wouldn't be lying, but the bird has actually been battling the infection for months, and is now suffering from a body-wide, systemic infection, which is extremely hard to cure...

Anyway, I don't know how old your bird is, I'm assuming quite young though...So he may be making some typical "baby motions", the wing-flapping is one of those...Or he may be ill, you just don't know. So I highly recommend that you find your nearest Certified Avian Vet (not an "Exotics" Vet, not the same thing at all!), and make the soonest appointment for a "Wellness Exam" that you can, and be sure to tell the CAV exactly what he's been doing, take a video of it if you can with your phone and show it to the CAV...

****Actually, if you could take a video of what you're talking about and post it here, it would help tremendously to distinguish between the typical "baby motions" and something else...Also, exactly how old is your bird? Did you get him from a pet shop or from a private-breeder? And was he fully-weaned when you brought him home? That's a very important question when you're dealing with a very young, baby bird doing what your's is doing right now...

Has he gone to see his Certified Avian Vet for his first Wellness-Exam yet? If not, this is the perfect reason to get it done ASAP. All new birds should have a Wellness-Exam done only by a Certified Avian Vet within the first couple of weeks of them coming to their new home anyway...I don't know your experience with owning birds, but all birds, regardless of the species, age, sex, etc., possess an innate survival-instinct to hide any and all outward signs of illness, injury, and pain for as long as they possibly can, and they are all extremely good at it. They do this to protect themselves and the rest of their flock from predators, as a sick/injured bird, or a bird that outwardly appears to be "weak", makes them a prime-target for predators, and by default also puts their entire flock at risk...

As a result of this innate instinct to hide all outward signs/symptoms of illness and pain, usually by the time we as people first notice that a bird may be sick or injured, the bird has actually been sick or injured for quite a long time, sometimes months and months, even over a year in some cases. This is why the percentage of birds that are taken to the vet that survive is so very low, not because most CAV's don't know what they are doing, or are "vampires only out for money who kill birds" as I heard someone say in a very irresponsible YouTube video the other day...It's because by the time most pet birds are taken by their owners to the vet, they have been sick for a long time, and are often near death. For example, if a bird has a bacterial infection and hides all signs of it for 2-3 months, then suddenly just stops eating or drinking, starts sleeping all day, etc., and the owner takes them to their CAV and tells them that "this just started yesterday", they wouldn't be lying, but the bird has actually been battling the infection for months, and is now suffering from a body-wide, systemic infection, which is extremely hard to cure...

Anyway, I don't know how old your bird is, I'm assuming quite young though...So he may be making some typical "baby motions", the wing-flapping is one of those...Or he may be ill, you just don't know. So I highly recommend that you find your nearest Certified Avian Vet (not an "Exotics" Vet, not the same thing at all!), and make the soonest appointment for a "Wellness Exam" that you can, and be sure to tell the CAV exactly what he's been doing, take a video of it if you can with your phone and show it to the CAV...

****Actually, if you could take a video of what you're talking about and post it here, it would help tremendously to distinguish between the typical "baby motions" and something else...Also, exactly how old is your bird? Did you get him from a pet shop or from a private-breeder? And was he fully-weaned when you brought him home? That's a very important question when you're dealing with a very young, baby bird doing what your's is doing right now...

I got him from a breeder, he is weaned and eats his seed and pellet mix frequently, i give him fresh fruits and vegetables as well, there is a chance he actually picked this behavior up from me, as he does it whenever i wave at him, so there is a chance he is just being cute, but here is the video anyways (I was waving at him with my hand during the video)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bATAR2GUbxw"]For parrot forums - YouTube[/ame]

yes i know the cage is a little small, we will be getting him a better one once he is done settling in,

Most Reactions

Back