Baby cockatiel poo looks weird

Whatever you do, don't squirt the formula into baby's mouth quickly or the baby can inhale it and die. I fact I would ditch the syringe and feed him from a teaspoon, letting him take as much formula as he wants at his own pace. When I handfed my budgie from an egg I never used a syringe- he fed from a small teaspoon from day one because I was afraid he would inhale and choke. He did great with spoon feeding. It was a bit messy but I cleaned him up with a warm baby wipes after eating and made sure his bum was clean too.
Oh i usually just feed him slowly and when i think he is ready to swallow i push the syringe lightly, i hope that’s ok

Nibbling on feet and feathers is normal grooming as long as there are no sores. He learning to groom himself. Give your baby lots of affection and head scratches. He's still got itchy pinfeathers and he will appreciate it. He looks to be about six weeks. Has he been trying to feed himself at all, picking at tiny pellets or millet? You should put some in his "home" which is what? A box? A cage? Does he perch yet? Has he tried to fly?
The closest he went to flying is like this , btw i dont think he is 6weeks, there are a lot of spot that haven’t grown feather, i keep him in a small box when its time to sleep

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    7.9 MB
I seriously doubt a budgie would die from expired medicine. They're usually a pretty long margin of error built in
As for reviews, I take them with a grain of salt. Human nature being what it is, people are much more eager to write negative reviews than positive ones. Often they're written from a position of unrealistic expectations. I would try to establish a relationship with an avian vet anyway. It will be very important if you bird ever seems sick.
Ok i will try to do check ups this month maybe

The closest he went to flying is like this , btw i dont think he is 6weeks, there are a lot of spot that haven’t grown feather, i keep him in a small box when its time to sleep
I see he's only about four weeks. The crop and front neck are usually the last to fully feather. Make sure he stays warm. He will need hand feeding for a couple more weeks and gradually he will refuse hand feedings and eat on his own. Weaning is a good time to make sure he eats pellets. I recommend Harrison's high potency super fine granules. They are tiny and easy to eat for weaning birds and my budgie loves them. I mixed them with his baby formula when he was weaning and that made weaning so easy. He weaned completely at just over 6 weeks and flew at about the same time. I guess mother nature has these things all figured out.

Idk if you read this or not but i said i give it like 14-16 ml yeah like i meant to say 1 syringe plus a quarter of it not just a quarter

Idk if you read this or not but i said i give it like 14-16 ml yeah like i meant to say 1 syringe plus a quarter of it not just a quarter
That's very different. I noticed that there might have been confusion there. I also noticed that your baby appears to have a nice chubby belly so it looks like it's getting enough to eat. Just keep it up while offering some "solid food". You should see lots of poops all day and in the morning. I used joke about how much my growing baby budgie would eat and how I put the food in one end and it came out the other end and in-between somehow a bird was being created! Quite a miracle!
Your baby is absolutely adorable!

That's very different. I noticed that there might have been confusion there. I also noticed that your baby appears to have a nice chubby belly so it looks like it's getting enough to eat. Just keep it up while offering some "solid food". You should see lots of poops all day and in the morning. I used joke about how much my growing baby budgie would eat and how I put the food in one end and it came out the other end and in-between somehow a bird was being created! Quite a miracle!
Your baby is absolutely adorable!
Yes thanks a lot to you, i asked question on reddit and they just told me to return the baby tiel to the breeder and that i can’t raise a baby cockatiel and it will die, but you give me hope in raising this wonderful creatures so thank you so much, i will ask you more question in the future if i need to and if you dont mind!

I see he's only about four weeks. The crop and front neck are usually the last to fully feather. Make sure he stays warm. He will need hand feeding for a couple more weeks and gradually he will refuse hand feedings and eat on his own. Weaning is a good time to make sure he eats pellets. I recommend Harrison's high potency super fine granules. They are tiny and easy to eat for weaning birds and my budgie loves them. I mixed them with his baby formula when he was weaning and that made weaning so easy. He weaned completely at just over 6 weeks and flew at about the same time. I guess mother nature has these things all figured out.
Thank you for the reccomendation, i might give that one a try since my budgies always just eats seed and millet!

Thank you for the reccomendation, i might give that one a try since my budgies always just eats seed and millet!
Btw that remember when i told you that after i feed it and it was still screaming? Yeah it was not hungry but he is just scared of me coosing the lid of the box, so now i just very slowly push the box below my bed without a lid and he didnt scream anymore

Yes thanks a lot to you, i asked question on reddit and they just told me to return the baby tiel to the breeder and that i can’t raise a baby cockatiel and it will die, but you give me hope in raising this wonderful creatures so thank you so much, i will ask you more question in the future if i need to and if you dont mind!
I wish breeders wouldn't sell unweaned chicks but you had one and it's life was at risk. Give your baby lots of love and warm food and it should survive. Please take baby in for a checkup.

I wish breeders wouldn't sell unweaned chicks but you had one and it's life was at risk. Give your baby lots of love and warm food and it should survive. Please take baby in for a checkup.
Don't hesitate to ask for more help if you need it. I'm not an avian vet or an expert at raising baby birds. Rather, I was forced into raising a budgie from an egg when her Mama had a medical emergency and couldn't incubate her eggs. I put her three fertile eggs in an incubator. Only one hatched but I raised Rocky from day one when she was less than two grams. At three and a half weeks she weighed 45 grams. She's now five months old and a happy healthy budgie. I don't know her current weight but I doubt it's much more than 45 or 50 grams. She's large because she's half English budgie. Baby birds often weigh more than their parents right before they wean and learn to fly. After they wean, their crops shrink and they have more streamlined body shaped so they can fly. A chunky baby bird with a big bulging crop would drop like a rock! But before they fledge they do a lot of wing flapping in place, presumably to strengthen their muscles. When they are ready they will suddenly take off and likely crash land somewhere, so watch out! Usually they will begin feeding themselves some before flying so I would offer your baby some of those tiny Harrison's pellets I mentioned. They are only the size of a hulled millet seed which is perfect for babies just beginning to feed themselves and much healthier for them than seed.

Don't hesitate to ask for more help if you need it. I'm not an avian vet or an expert at raising baby birds. Rather, I was forced into raising a budgie from an egg when her Mama had a medical emergency and couldn't incubate her eggs. I put her three fertile eggs in an incubator. Only one hatched but I raised Rocky from day one when she was less than two grams. At three and a half weeks she weighed 45 grams. She's now five months old and a happy healthy budgie. I don't know her current weight but I doubt it's much more than 45 or 50 grams. She's large because she's half English budgie. Baby birds often weigh more than their parents right before they wean and learn to fly. After they wean, their crops shrink and they have more streamlined body shaped so they can fly. A chunky baby bird with a big bulging crop would drop like a rock! But before they fledge they do a lot of wing flapping in place, presumably to strengthen their muscles. When they are ready they will suddenly take off and likely crash land somewhere, so watch out! Usually they will begin feeding themselves some before flying so I would offer your baby some of those tiny Harrison's pellets I mentioned. They are only the size of a hulled millet seed which is perfect for babies just beginning to feed themselves and much healthier for them than seed.
Alright, thank you for the tips and explanation, i hope Rocky will have a happy and joyful life with her wonderful owner.

Alright, thank you for the tips and explanation, i hope Rocky will have a happy and joyful life with her wonderful owner.
My baby Rocky will always be my baby. I call her Baby Bird most of the time. In fact "Baby Bird" is my new "term of endearment" for my husband, too, and his for me, because Rocky has been the center of our universe at home since he hatched on November 8.

My baby Rocky will always be my baby. I call her Baby Bird most of the time. In fact "Baby Bird" is my new "term of endearment" for my husband, too, and his for me, because Rocky has been the center of our universe at home since he hatched on November 8.
Hello today i decided to feed my baby tiel at 6am usually i feed him at 8 because i just thought a four week old would need more sleeping time, and he doesn’t seem interested at eating, right now its 6am and the vet opens at 12pm so like its a long time to wait, what do i do?

Last edited:
Hello today i decided to feed my baby tiel at 6am usually i feed him at 8 because i just thought a four week old would need more sleeping time, and he doesn’t seem interested at eating, right now its 6am and the vet opens at 12pm so like its a long time to wait, what do i do?
Did you bring your baby to the vet? What did they say?

It won't hurt a four week old baby to go until noon without a feeding but they may loudly object! If your baby has lost its appetite you should definitely take it to the vet unless it's been feeding itself too. You should be scattering seed and very small pellets in his box to forage on between feedings.

I just called the vet they are open but the doctor have not arrive so like i am just gonna wait until they call me again. I am very very worried right now because even the poo looks like green and wet now

It won't hurt a four week old baby to go until noon without a feeding but they may loudly object! If your baby has lost its appetite you should definitely take it to the vet unless it's been feeding itself too. You should be scattering seed and very small pellets in his box to forage on between feedings.
Yeah from 6am it just like lick the syringe thats all, i ak scared of maybe a sour crop or something

Yeah from 6am it just like lick the syringe thats all, i ak scared of maybe a sour crop or something
Is the crop soft and mostly empty in the morning? Sour crop is usually caused by feeding cold formula that doesn't pass out of the crop into the stomach readily and yeast and other microorganisms cause the food to go bad and sour. If you're concerned at all you need to bring the baby to a vet. If the baby's crop is emptying and it has it's appetite it's probably fine.

I
Is the crop soft and mostly empty in the morning? Sour crop is usually caused by feeding cold formula that doesn't pass out of the crop into the stomach readily and yeast and other microorganisms cause the food to go bad and sour. If you're concerned at all you need to bring the baby to a vet. If the baby's crop is emptying and it has it's appetite it's probably fine.
Is the baby eating okay now?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back