Anyone here have areca indoor palm tree?

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I'm looking to better the air in my home in Ohio mostly due to winter being so dry. I am struggling to keep RH at 40% and am hoping some plants will help, as well as clean my air.

Having a one yo CAG is a concern though. I know these palms are considered safe, but I want to gain as much info on the care of the palm tree relative to having a FID in the same area or room.

Former tropical horticulturist here. Many shreddable bird toys are made of palm leaves so I wouldn't be concerned about safety.

The truth is the benefits of indoor tropical plants Is a bit overblown.. Areca palms are beautiful but they aren't going to address the concerns you are expressing. And it's guaranteed more of an ugly mess when grown indoors due to dying lower leaves and constantly browning tips. It won't raise the humidity one iota.

Nor will it really clean the air. The only thing they do is catch dust, which you then wipe off. But it's not even going to catch that much dust in relation tot he full size of the room.

You're better off looking into humidifiers and air purifiers if you want to actually make a difference in your environment.

I have friends who have lots of plants in the home that swear by them for helping humidity. One plant I can see as irrelevant but what about 5-6?

Thanks for the input though. My humidifiers can't keep up once temps hit the 20s or lower.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back