Any other talking Meyers out there?

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Meyers (Kevin) and CAG (Mariah)
So, I've had my Meyers boy Kevin (now 8 months old) since October. I've previously owned a Senegal and decided on the Meyers because their temperment is supposed to be a bit more mellow. Couldn't be happier with my decision, he is a sweet little bugger!
All of the reading material I went over before I brought him home said not to expect him to talk at all (no biggie). He now says "Hi Kevin" and "Good boy Kevin"....I was wondering if anyone else has a surprise talking Meyers?
Recently adopted a CAG and Kevin repeated "Hi Kevin" for the first 5-10 minutes she was home....he was very excited to hear another bird in the house.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Sennie (AJ)...had him for 9 1/2 years before I lost him because of a careless housesitter while I was on vacation. He was great until I got married (he was 3 at the time). He hated my husband with a passion and would regularly lunge at him....AJ would even lure him in with invites to scratch his head and then attack. He eventually became aggressive with everyone but me, and then eventually with me too. My husband would keep his distance and never harrassed AJ, but the poor guy became prone to panicking at the smallest things. Later I found out that Sennies are sometimes prone to this.
Now, my Meyers is still very young (8 months) but in general Kevin just seems like a more laid back bird. My husband still has no interest in becoming a "bird person" but he will even comment how Kevin seems to have a sweeter disposition than AJ. I keep wondering why the Meyers isn't as popular as the Senegals...they are difficult to find. But then again, maybe they are just a nicely kept secret....
All in all, I love the African breeds and don't think I will ever deviate from that group of parrots. :D

I just got a meyer's 3 weeks ago, she hardly makes any noise, and thus can't talk yet. Not expecting her too, but she does make the cutest little chirps when she does make noise.

Last edited:
awww nut just makes kissy sounds an chirps what sounds like bye bye to me when she walks away from me lol

she use to meow exactly like this cat that wanted in the house, but cats not been about for ages lol

Ha, ha...my old Sennie used to meow exactly like our cat...used to drive my husband crazy getting up off the couch to let the cat out. He would get up and go to the door to find no cat waiting....then a small chuckling sound from the bird cage. :D

I jaut adopted a meyers a few months ago, Dexter is 3 years old and doen't talk yet, i hope some day he will pick up a few words. he does sing some and makes some chrip sounds. he makes this sound i call it like a cat purrs when he is being touched and scratch all over. i do love this little guy. he spend most of the time out of his cage. i keep the radio on for him when im not home, and i light on if im going to be home after dark. he is just now starting to play with his toys, and get what we call goofy in his cage. Big bird fair at the pomona fair plex this sat and sunday for anyone living in the pomona, ca area you can look it up on the web page.

Most Reactions

Back