Amazon sounds and meaning

Vmv98

Apr 20, 2024
Parrots
Red lored amazon
I ended up saving an Amazon parrot from someone who bought one and didnā€™t have any patience and only wanted a parrot that talks. Heā€™s seems young, but heā€™s always making this chirping sound and Im wondering if he makes it when happy. He does it a lot when I let him out of his cage to explore

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Without seeing and hearing the sound itā€™s impossible for me to say.
body language plays an important part of communication for parrots and especially amazon parrots.

welcome to the forum.
ps
we all love pictures.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I ended up saving an Amazon parrot from someone who bought one and didnā€™t have any patience and only wanted a parrot that talks. Heā€™s seems young, but heā€™s always making this chirping sound and Im wondering if he makes it when happy. He does it a lot when I let him out of his cage to explore
Thanks for saving this one. Really young amazons have an almost black eye iris, as they approach puberty or earlier, their eyes turn the natural color for that species. Yellow or orange or orange or other. Once that occurs, it is virtually impossible to tell an Amazons age. If this one is really really young, that chirping could be begging behavior, for baby parrot formula.

Please read the stickies at the top of our Amazon sub-forum, especially the body language one and the I Love Amazons one. Priceless information!

OP
V

Vmv98

Apr 20, 2024
Parrots
Red lored amazon
body language plays an important part of communication for parrots and especially amazon parrots.

welcome to the forum.
ps
we all love pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2912.mov
    3.7 MB
OP
V

Vmv98

Apr 20, 2024
Parrots
Red lored amazon

welcome to the forum.
ps
we all love pictures.
I was finally able to take a video! He makes this sound a lot when I bring treats near or when I open his cage door. What does it mean?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I would say itā€™s a happy/excited sound.

I read somewhere and I donā€™t know if itā€™s true but parrots that shake their heads more often are better talkers.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I would say itā€™s a happy/excited sound.

I read somewhere and I donā€™t know if itā€™s true but parrots that shake their heads more often are better talkers.
Okay, good friend, you win the "Name That Chirp in just 'one' Chirp!"

I am guessing that you saved this Amazon and s/he came with zero paperwork (a hatch certificate)!! That is a very difficult place to be as your dear new friend could be a Black Market Parrot or worst a stolen Parrot! I strongly recommend that you Get this Parrot to an Avian Vet for a Well Bird Examination and serious consider a Microchip as a means of assuring ownership, if the Law or prior owner shows-up demanding your Parrot you at least have some proof of ownership!

Your parrot appears young! NOTE: Hardwired Body Language begins to set in place as they approach puberty, hence your parrot may not displace all Body Language combinations.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts