Amazon does not chew pellets

h4l1.png

Mar 8, 2024
Parrots
Green-cheeked conure | Moline
I have a strange situation for me. 4 days ago, my Amazon started eating pellets, pellets for large parrots that I chop up and cut in half, but I noticed today that my Amazon doesn't chop the pellets, but swallows a piece of pellets as if he is bored of chewing them. Some will be called and some will not be called at all, but will just be pushed down. Is that normal, I'm afraid that he wouldn't cut his throat or throat. He is 3 months old. After eating, he drinks a lot, a lot of water

Pellets are not going to cut your parrots throat. ANd Amazons dont need to have the pellets cut in half ( how exhausting!). Better idea - get a cheap kitchen scale, and weigh your parrot daily to get a sense of how much he is eating. Weigh right after the big poop of the morning. A drop of 3-5% is cause for concern.

Pellets are not going to cut your parrots throat. ANd Amazons dont need to have the pellets cut in half ( how exhausting!). Better idea - get a cheap kitchen scale, and weigh your parrot daily to get a sense of how much he is eating. Weigh right after the big poop of the morning. A drop of 3-5% is cause for concern.
hahaha she literally gained 10 grams in 8 days hahaha. I have a scale and I weigh it constantly

Great that you are using a scale! Just remember that to use it to define what your Amazon is doing assure that you know that the morning moment occurs first and not allowed to eat until weight is taken. Your numbers will have meaning when comparing.

IMHO, it is very important that Amazon's get a wide and varied diet that includes Veggies, high-quality seed (limited to no Sunflower seed), grains and tree based nuts with pellets acting as an additive.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back