Am I doing what is right for him?

Hi all. So I have come to the hard decision to rehome my parrot. Patrick is a 2 year old Senegal who I've had since he was 6 months old. He has been a very loving companion but things recently have deteriorated. We have to leave him alone for 11 hours a day, we can't give him the amount of sleep he needs and he has started to attack me (fly at my face to bite me).

I cannot give him the time and attention he needs, I spend all the time I can at home with him and we are going backwards he is becoming more aggressive and unruly. It is also having a detrimental affect on my life, I feel I can't do anything ever.

I don't really want to rehome him but realistically I dont think i can give him what he needs any more.
I want to at least do what it right for Patrick.

I'm not sure what the best option is, I was thinking about a sanctuary where he can be in an aiviary with other senegals etc. That way he can be with his own kind and being raised originally in an aiviary with his parents he might enjoy this more (that and he hates cages, he flies around our house freely and is never in the cage).

But I'm not sure.

What do you think?

You have received a cross-section of great advice from other members.

It sounds more like you want to be talked out of this then agreement. And if true, that is what you will get from me!

Your schedule is not that much out of step with most people who work. People who provide their Parrots with what time they have and most all have good -to- great working relationships with their Parrots.

I am not an expert with Senegal's, so any experts please chime in here. At 2 yrs old. It is possible that your Senegal maybe experiencing its transition from baby like to Adulthood and experiencing the rush of Hormones for the first time. Like teenage Humans , they are all over the place emotionally.

Direct interaction time. As covered above, somethings that just has to be on the very short side. And as long as you are somewhat consistent with those time blocks it will work for all of you.

Indirect interaction time
. We Humans seriously underestimate the benefits of this type of interaction. I had always need to read some documents or information sources regarding my work. I simply read it aloud with my Amazon on by shoulder, leg or lap. I'm a news junky, so during those times, my Amazon holds the same position. Point being, there is at least an hour or more every evening that counts for indirect interaction time. Eating with our Amazon also counts, yes it can get interesting but its 'family' time. Point being, once you commit to including your Senegal in your activities, even indirectly, you will be shocked at how much time that equals.

The 'Leading Cause' of Humans giving up their Parrots is Biting! Bite Pressure Training will greatly limit biting and its associated pain! There is a Thread regarding this subject that can be helpful if you are interested.

Sanctuary(s): Every Quarter there is a News story of yet another Sanctuary failing, where thousands of Parrots are than sold, commonly in large lots to Brokers.

As an outsider looking in: I see two major areas that if corrected, you and your wife would be far more comfortable with your Senegal.
1. Bite Pressure Training - This would allow a redevelopment of the relationship with your wife and your Senegal.
2. Incorporate Indirect Interaction Time.
I joined to this forum to learn what i can do for my parrot i have got as a gift.It was not surprising gift of course,was from my brother so i working hard to learn all about parrots.Its Pennant,cute funny blue soul came to my home and i am the one who wanted to be his mate,his friend but seems my parrot loves my husband more than me :D.I am sure that i do many many wrong things also but yes i spend all day home so my parrot always around my head.He did not bound yet,i know nothing can come over the night,but yes my Blue ball start biting also (not hard as he probably don't know yet what he can do :D),but i know he will stop.How,we will see.Only i know it not on my mind to give him away. :confused::blue:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back