Am I Crazy????

I am sure the birds are so very happy you've taken them in! I am also confident you will have no issues moving up to a larger parrot. Amazons are typically pretty resilient and tough little birds. They tend to bounce back relatively quick, even if they have been neglected for a time. One thing I do have to say is these birds did not "revert back to the wild" as I don't think any zon ever leaves the wild behind lol (they do tend to be a rowdy bunch). Your best bet right now will be to schedule an appointment with the avian vet for a wellness check/consultation (best to be safe, especially if their carer was not mentally all there). The vet can check for nutritional deficiencies and minor infections (common in rehomed birds), treat those appropriately, and give you advice/answer any questions you may have. It's also a good idea to get them as established "patients" at the vet as soon as possible. As they settle into their new home, behavioral issues that weren't apparent at first may arise, and the vet will be able to help you work through those as you go along. The good news is zons tend to be easier to correct behaviorally than more mentally sensitive species. Joining a local bird club or getting in contact with a rescue organization can also provide some great resources/advice on helping socialize them (rehomes have different training concerns than babies).

Besides that, you need to make sure to get them appropriate size cages within the next week or so (if they didn't come with them). Stating today, you can get them on a healthy diet. Amazons will need seed mix for large hookbills, though you can give them a dish of parakeet seed this morning to tie them over until you get to the petstore later. Obviously, they also need lots of fresh produce, healthy table foods, nuts and cuttlebones as part of a healthy, varied diet. They will also need toys designed for large parrots, and I would not suggest giving them any toys designed for your Quaker (easy to break for a zon, and potentially dangerous to a larger parrot). Finally, just be nice to them while your earning their trust. Speak softly to them, give them treats, include them in your daily activities... And don't be discouraged if It takes some time, they will eventually come around. We adopted our BFA 5 years ago, and just recently he's started initiating being petted/cuddled. It took him a while, but now that hes coming out on the other side behaviorally, we have the next 30+ years with a sweet parrot to look forward to :green:Best of luck to you!

Thank you for that info!! Jackie (zon) has an appropriate sized cage- it almost didn't fit in our suv with the back seats down! The kakariki on the other hand needs an aviary, which my husband can build. We're going to the store tonight to get some appropriate food for Jackie and maybe some new toys for both of them.

Today, Jackie started off with a few new phrases so he's up to 11 different phrases now! Any clue how big an amazon's vocabulary can be???

Good to hear they're settling in well. As for speech, large parrots are CAPABLE of a vocabulary on par with a 2-3 year old child. However, most won't ever reach that level unless you're very dedicated to teaching them. Jackie sounds like a pretty smart bird though, 11 phrases and counting is really good :). If he's that vocal from the start, it's very likely he will continue to pick up new words, phrases and noises he hears often.

Forgot to add, amazons definitely need an arsenal of toys to keep them occupied, it's really not an optional item. Since large parrot toys are quite pricey, I personally only buy the acrylic kind that will last forever. Giving a zon a big wood toy from the petstore is like giving them a $20 bill to shred (and they'll probably destroy the toy just as fast!). We give Kiwi "clean garbage" to satisfy his chewing needs at no additional cost (stuff like toilet paper/paper towel rolls, empty cracker boxes, phonebooks with the covers ripped off ect...). Many birds also enjoy baby toys, which can be bought for next to nothing at thrift stores/garage sales. Use common sense though, things like teething toys or anything with batteries is no good. However, those "key" toys, rattles, little plastic blocks ect...make great, inexpensive parrot toys. Also, you should always sterilize baby toys by boiling them before giving to your bird.

Last edited:
12 phrases now and counting haha

Oh wow- good to know about the toys! We were just getting ready to leave for the store! And Im glad I can give him 'clean' paper garbage...because we usually just burn it, so it's good to know I can put it to good use!

Today I was cleaning Jackie's cage- which I decided to clean by hand instead of power washing. I really didn't want to try to get him out... Anyways, at times I would need to have the door open so I could clean the inside, and the whole time he didn't even try to bite me, not even a lunge, no eye pinning... No signs of aggression. He would just sit there and watch me. I would occasionally ask if he wanted to come out, but all I got was a blank look lol

That's a great sign when that let you do things in their cage. leave the door open sometimes and help be out in no timem

Most Reactions

Back