Albert - Red Bellied Parrot - I Have Mastered The Flying Poop

Here's another video of Albert's talking progress:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BGM4jLqKl4"]Red-Bellied Parrot - Talking, Chatter, Noises, Whistling, Chicken SUPERCUT - YouTube[/ame]

She now can say

"Hi Albert!"
"Pretty bird!"
"Peekaboo!"
"Beep boop!"
"Yummy yummy!"
"Buck buck buck BUKACK!" (like a chicken, though she's only somewhat good at this, sounds more like "Peep peep peep PEEKACK" right now)

Hey ya'll. Haven't been posting too much lately; been quite busy and haven't had too much time for forums. To make it up to you, here is me and Albert whistling poorly at one another:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Paan9SaI4"]Red-Bellied Parrot - Badly Whistling To A Man Badly Whistling - YouTube[/ame]

Hahaha! That was funny. Good to see Albert, again.

Awww Albert is such a doll! She is the cutest thing! But then I am biased with my opinion on Pois and their cuteness ;). She is just beautiful.

He's gorgeous! What a great video!

So quick question for those who own a Poi and other parrots:

We are about this >< close to buying a GCC (my wife loves how cuddly they are) but I want to know the likelihood of aggression towards a second bird (housed separately of course).

Well I bought a GCC (thread here).

About 2 days after we bought Martha, Albert had an accident.

On Saturday (the 2nd), me and my wife were getting ready to head out to a party, and I heard a squawking. I wandered over to Albert's room, and was shocked to see she had pried the nut off a pear ring toy hanger (which she does often, and I always replace with an unbroken one) and had lodged the pointy upward end into her soft palate.

I raced over, unhooked the ring and lowered her and the ring to the floor. It was in there good. Me and my wife had to hold her down, pry open her beak, and pull down and out to get it out. She was bleeding and in shock (and bit me a bunch of times real good).

We rushed her to the 24/7 avian vet that I go to (thank god it's only a 10m drive from our house), and after a short checkup, the on-call vet prescribed her an anti-inflammatory, an anti-biotic, and some painkillers.

She is fine. She's just about done her meds (tomorrow morning will be the last syringe) and has been really good about taking them. She has been eating/drinking normally literally since I brought her home from the vet, and has been surprisingly lovey all week.

Poor bird. I didn't imagine I would be as upset and distraught as I was, but well, I was. If I have learned anything from this ordeal, it is

DO NOT USE PEAR RINGS TO HANG TOYS

The next day I went to our local parrot store and bought 100 yards of unoiled sisal rope/twine to re-hang everything in her cage (which, unfortunately, she loved to chew on). I am 100% converted away from pear rings, they are a ridiculous hazard if you have a bird that is strong enough to bend off the nut.

Heed my words!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear this but both are great parronts, you were there and got the services needed. Hugs to you all. I hope that things are going well with healing. Keep us posted.

Poor Albert! I'm so sorry that happened to him! But I'm glad it wasn't more serious and that you were able to extricate the piece without causing more damage.

Same thing happened to a few other members as well. Pear rings can be quite dangerous and, as improbable as that injury seems, getting impaled through the soft tissue at the hollow of the lower beak happens more often than one might think.

But thank you for posting this for others who might not have been aware of the danger.

Please keep us updated on how the healing is going.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about Albert's accident, but glad you and your wife were home and able to rescue her and take her in right away!

That's it. I'm replacing all pear links from the Pois and Pionus! Robin can even unscrew a heavier SS quick link that I tighten as hard as I can with my fingers. Thank you for sharing the warning.

Yeah it's really not worth the potential pain. Unoiled sisal rope is ~10 bucks for a huge hank of it. Just takes an extra minute to hang something.

Most Reactions

Back