Harlie&Indie

Sep 4, 2024
Parrots
Two Rainbow Lorikeet's, Harlie & Indie.
New to this forum so apologies if it has been asked before.

We have 2 rainbow Lorikeet's, Harlie who was 1 in May and male & Indie who is 2 in October and female.

Harlie has started this thing where he attaches Indie into the corner on the bottom of the cage when they go back in for bedtime.

He will not let her come back up until he has calmed down, or if we keep distracting him as he goes for her.

Currently we think we have worked out it's mostly after we play with him but not always.

He will also attached her off us when she lands on us and does this little standing flap hissy thing.
We are trying not to play with him so he plays with Indie but not sure how it'll go.

Has anyone else had thos problem or any ideas?
I know he is coming into his first season which may be why but we are not sure.

New to this forum so apologies if it has been asked before.

We have 2 rainbow Lorikeet's, Harlie who was 1 in May and male & Indie who is 2 in October and female.

Harlie has started this thing where he attaches Indie into the corner on the bottom of the cage when they go back in for bedtime.

He will not let her come back up until he has calmed down, or if we keep distracting him as he goes for her.

Currently we think we have worked out it's mostly after we play with him but not always.

He will also attached her off us when she lands on us and does this little standing flap hissy thing.
We are trying not to play with him so he plays with Indie but not sure how it'll go.

Has anyone else had thos problem or any ideas?
I know he is coming into his first season which may be why but we are not sure.
I think you are correct in your assessment that sexual maturity is playing quite a big role here. Are your birds currently occupying the same cage? If so, you may need to make arrangements to house them separately. I have never had two lorikeets at the same time, but I currently have a varied lorikeet rooster and a princess parrot hen who are madly in love with each other. They carry on very cordial relations outside the cage, but if I enclose them in the same cage - which i don't anymore btw - Lovejoy the lorikeet will get quite aggressive towards Peachie the princess parrot, and he has become very territorial about his own cage too. I have also had a male and female cockatiel previously (still have the same male, the female was much older and passed some years ago), whom I would NEVER have been able to cage together because again, once Fang the male became sexually mature he got crazy about Twinkle the female, just a little too much so because his love for her led to aggression so she needed the sanctuary of her own cage to protect her from his hormonal rages. As you know, lorikeets are particularly excitable, and from a lot of the experiences I have seen from others and have known personally, their personalities can change quite a bit once maturity has been reached. Individual results will vary of course, but I think for safety's sake it's probably time to look at giving them separate quarters so your birds have the chance to be able to take a break from each other when things get a little heated.

Most Reactions

Back