African Grey found in China, need documentation

UPDATE: After months of trying I finally met the owner of the many parrots that I always hear in my neighborhood. She lives in the building next to mine. She is a wonderful Chinese lady with 15 different parrots, a collection of small local injured birds that she rescued, and 34 rescue cats. Yes, 34, not a typo! She bought an entire 4 bedroom apartment JUST for the pets. She and her human family live in the other apartment on the same floor. But the pets get the apartment with the sea view. She is a wonderful lady, passionate about animals. The birds live in a huge high-ceilinged room (cats live in a separate part of the home) that opens out onto a fenced-in balcony about 40m2. They all looked very healthy, and were obviously trusting of her, and comfortable around new people. She even has 1 male African Grey. She does not breed them or sell them. So the outcome of this visit was:

1) She put us in touch with THE parrot breeder of our province.
2) The breeder will search his database for the original owners. If the parrot came from a China breeder, he can find them. If original owners are found, and missing their bird, we will return Pepper to them.
3) If original owners not found, the breeder can help us get the documentation we need, and even help us get Pepper to Thailand.
4) Parrot neighbor lady is very happy to foster Pepper while we work on finding her original home, or moving her. We will take her there tomorrow.

It is heartbreaking to let Pepper go, even for a few months. But I feel so relieved, that even if I never get to take her to our new home, I'm confident she will be happy with the Parrot Lady of Shenzhen. :) We may just let her stay there if it seems a happier place for her, being in a large flock. And we can always go back and visit her. In the meantime, she will have a handsome boyfriend named Xiao Hui (Little Grey, in Chinese).

I'll let you know how the integration goes!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and good wishes.

UPDATE: After months of trying I finally met the owner of the many parrots that I always hear in my neighborhood. She lives in the building next to mine. She is a wonderful Chinese lady with 15 different parrots, a collection of small local injured birds that she rescued, and 34 rescue cats. Yes, 34, not a typo! She bought an entire 4 bedroom apartment JUST for the pets. She and her human family live in the other apartment on the same floor. But the pets get the apartment with the sea view. She is a wonderful lady, passionate about animals. The birds live in a huge high-ceilinged room (cats live in a separate part of the home) that opens out onto a fenced-in balcony about 40m2. They all looked very healthy, and were obviously trusting of her, and comfortable around new people. She even has 1 male African Grey. She does not breed them or sell them. So the outcome of this visit was:

2) The breeder will search his database for the original owners. If the parrot came from a China breeder, he can find them. If original owners are found, and missing their bird, we will return Pepper to them.
3) If original owners not found, the breeder can help us get the documentation we need, and even help us get Pepper to Thailand.
4) Parrot neighbor lady is very happy to foster Pepper while we work on finding her original home, or moving her. We will take her there tomorrow.

It is heartbreaking to let Pepper go, even for a few months. But I feel so relieved, that even if I never get to take her to our new home, I'm confident she will be happy with the Parrot Lady of Shenzhen. :) We may just let her stay there if it seems a happier place for her, being in a large flock. And we can always go back and visit her. In the meantime, she will have a handsome boyfriend named Xiao Hui (Little Grey, in Chinese).

What a wonderfully devoted lady. I hope this avenue earns proper paperwork to move with your Grey without difficulty.

Was curious and Googled "Parrot lady of Shenzhen" to see if she is well known. No hits, but found this sad and cautionary tale: https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d4d6a4e32637a4d/share_p.html

What a wonderfully devoted lady. I hope this avenue earns proper paperwork to move with your Grey without difficulty.

Was curious and Googled "Parrot lady of Shenzhen" to see if she is well known. No hits, but found this sad and cautionary tale: https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d4d6a4e32637a4d/share_p.html
Oh yeah, I saw that story in my hunt for ways to get Pepper out. That convinced me to not attempt it without proper documentation!

I am glad that you have found a kind and generous person to keep your beloved bird on a temporary basis.

My only concern is about the cats. 34 cats is 34 too many in a bird house. Please do request her to take all the precautions that would be necessary so that Pepper's safety is not compromised.

I am glad that you have found a kind and generous person to keep your beloved bird on a temporary basis.

My only concern is about the cats. 34 cats is 34 too many in a bird house. Please do request her to take all the precautions that would be necessary so that Pepper's safety is not compromised.
Don't worry, this home has the cats and bird completely separated. The cats and birds are even under lock and key, so the cleaners/caretakers don't accidentally let them out into each other's spaces. This woman is loaded, and has renovated an entire 4 bedroom condo just to accommodate the birds and cats separately. Humans also have a separate condo. It's amazing. Luxury for both the birds and cats.

34 cats in 2 bedrooms is hardly luxurious....
(not sure how packed together the birds are)

34 cats in 2 bedrooms is hardly luxurious....
(not sure how packed together the birds are)

I guess I neglected to say...the cats have 2 large connected bedrooms plus living room, all walk-out to a 50m2 fenced-in balcony, and fitted out with every kind of cat bed and scratching post you can imagine. The parrots have 2 large connected bedrooms and 50m2 fenced-in balcony. Both balconies overlook the ocean, lots of fresh air. Double layer of doors and a kitchen in between the species. They never meet. :) And the place is immaculately clean, with 4 full-time cleaners and caretakers. The humans live in the condo attached. All the cats and most of the parrots are rescues. My Pepper has been there for 4 days so far, and when I visited her today she acted like her normal self, seemed to be fitting in well.

Still: that many cats are a fairly overpopulated for a neighbourhood.

I found an African Grey parrot outside in some trees in Shenzhen, China almost a year ago. It has a leg band, which apparently they do not do in China. And she (I think it's a she) said "hello" in English. I assume she was brought in by a foreign family and either escaped or was abandoned (common pet problem here). A search in the neighborhood and on expat forums has yielded no results in finding her original owners. After almost a year the bird is part of our family and we really want to keep her. Now we are in a position where we want to move out of China. But we have no paperwork on the bird, no CITES certificate. China will not issue any such certificate for a parrot, as they only consider dogs and cats as pets. So far all communication with local agencies has had the same result: turn over the bird to wildlife authorities. We are very reluctant to do this in a country that is not famed for its animal rights, and not native to African Grey parrots. Any suggestions anybody has to either get her out, or re-home her to a good home in China are welcome! We are moving to Thailand, still within Asia, if that helps in the suggestions.
Did you ever find a solution?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back