Aaaaa which to adopt?

Which is most loving as a companion bird?

• Quaker

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Alexandrine

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Meyer

• Senegal

• Indian ring neck

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Caique

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a long while but I was wondering if I could get your opinion on something?

I am looking to add to my flock, I really want a small/medium sized bird which I can keep as a companion bird. I'm torn between Quakers, Senegals, Meyers, Indian Ring Necks, Alexandrines and Caiques

I have cared for budgies, lovebirds, conures, Eclectus, African greys and a macaw before so I'm not new to bird keeping, and all my birds are happy and healthy but living with my mom at the moment with their mates.

This new small bird would be my companion, no mating because i would love a keeper. Or if I did get a mate I need something slightly smaller so I can house the two.

I'm not bothered about noise, but I am bothered about temperament and companionship. Cuddles and the bird being able to be both independent and loving. I know this is a big ask.

Which would you suggest? An why if you have experience? Thank you so much!

If you want cuddles, I hear Quakers are.I am looking into getting one myself soon.

As for a Senegal, Safari was my pride and joy, never bit me, and was very tolerant for a sennie....but certainly had his moments, and was not overly cuddly, but loved scritches.

I own a Jardine as well(same family of the senegal) still trying to tame her so I won't loose a finger at any given moment.

If you want a stick of dynamite in a small package, this would be a Senegal. They have a big bird personality in a small body. I love Tiki our Senegal and wouldn't take a dollar and a quarter for her.

Another vote for a sennie. Mine happens to be very quiet, though I know there are lots that aren't. She also loves scritches and has a surprising vocabulary for her age (but will only talk when she thinks I'm ignoring her.) She's also very good at entertaining herself as long as she gets some attention every day.

I'm stuck between a Quaker and a Caique....any bird can have PMS issues, I just deal with it really unless it concerns everyone in the household.

Caiques are great birds! They are very funny and sweet! They are known as the clown of the parrot world!

Definitely a Caique...my Juno is such a lovey cuddly clown...she is awesome...even my husband who is far from a bird person just loves her.

And we work at least 8 hours a day if not more and she does fine by herself...

Juno is very precious!!!!!! Makes me want one myself..... :D

I've only ever had 1 interaction with a caique :
If I could, I'd own one. They are GOOFY, ADORABLE, and just.. WONDERFUL.

IRNs aren't cuddly, but you can have a breeding pair and still have birds who like you :) they don't really bond to their mates as much, not until breeding season comes around anyways, so if you do have a pair they can still be sweet to you. But that also means they won't want cuddles as much. Kiwi doesn't mind scritches, but doesn't particularly like them. I've also heard that most (Kiwi included) IRNs don't bite as hard as say, a conure. Kiwi just mouths you.. At first she was ready to break bone, but since knowing me she rarely applies a lot of pressure. Usually she'll just growl, mouth me, and refuse to step up.
This morning she was a bit cranky because she hadnt been out as much, so she was ready to rip off a limb, but I just manually grabbed her, set her on my finger (will my dangling fingers try to keep her beak from ripping them off) and then she was fine. She just needs to be reassured stepping up ends up with a happy ending.

So I'd say which personality fits you better. IRNs are good for a family bird, or an independent bird, while conures will be more dedicated. I don't know how caiques are, but for goofiness, they win by a mile.

I LOVE MY CAIQUES !! these birds know how to play !!! (but love you and others also]They are hardy eaters and all around great little guys :)

For me, I can only relate my tale of two Senegals.

My first Senegal was a rescue. She came to me absolutely terrified. Took me a year of working with her but she turned into one of the most gentle, snuggling and loving birds I've ever known. She would spend hours snuggled up against my neck gently nibbling at my skin or preening the mustache I had at that time. Very friendly and would happily go to anyone and would soon be loving on them. She never bit anyone except for me one time when I pushed her a little too much before she was ready. I was heartbroken when I lost her. Kelly was an absolute sweetie and I still miss her 15 years later.

Now Sidney... Imagine the old Warner Bros. cartoon Tasmanian Devil character. Paint him gray, green orange and yellow and slap a pair of wings on him. That kind of matches Sidney's personality when he is all fired up. He doesn't stop. His beak is constantly looking for something expensive or dangerous to chew on. He investigates everything. His personality is three phase depending upon the time of day. Mornings are "Don't touch me or you will bleed!". Afternoons are his devil moments where he comes to me then he goes off looking for trouble. Evenings when he starts to tire, he turns into a cuddle bird who wants a lot of scritching and covers me in downy feathers when he preens. He is also female aggressive and hates most women. He is the most challenging bird I have had except for maybe a very hormonal female budgie named Kiwi who was just pure "bad attitude".

So it is kind of hard for me to give an indication of the species as a whole since my two Senegals were at extreme opposite ends of the spectrum in behavior. But based upon comments I have read on this forum during the 1.5 years I've been here I would judge that most of them can be a little challenging and not super cuddly. And they seem to not to like other birds. Sidney would attack and hurt my Blue Crowns given the chance. I have to keep him well clipped or he will try to get to their cages and start a rucks. And the one time that Kelly was around other birds she seemed to exhibit aggressive tendencies as well but I never let her get close.

Last edited:
def caiques! not only are they playful and goofy but in my opinion the nicest parrot on your list. i am looking to getting a pair as soon as i can find some baby ones. but that might be in feb or march when they have bird expos in southern california. i love caiques but i am bias.

I admit I may be biased, but my quaker is the goofiest funny little snuggle ball of a pet I've ever had. Of course I'd say go for the quaker, but I don't have experience with the other species. I only know how much I love my quaker, and that's A LOT!!!!!

Senegals and quakers. Those would be my first choices. Meyers are fun, but they tend to be really sweet to one person or one bird, and violent with any others. Alexandrines and ringnecks can be sweet but neither species is known for being sweet... so with them it's more of a bird by bird basis. Caiques are fun and pretty good birds overall, just make sure the baby you buy or adult you adopt is sweet, because to try and tame a nasty caique is pretty tough compared to other species.

To me, the difference between the two here (Quaker and a Caique) is the price. In my area Quakers can be had for $200.00. But Caiques on the other hand are very pricey if you can even find one. Their prices start out at over $500.00, pet shops closer to $1000.00. You also have to take into account that Quakers or Monk Parakeets can't be transported or even purchased in some states in the US.

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a long while but I was wondering if I could get your opinion on something?

I am looking to add to my flock, I really want a small/medium sized bird which I can keep as a companion bird. I'm torn between Quakers, Senegals, Meyers, Indian Ring Necks, Alexandrines and Caiques

I have cared for budgies, lovebirds, conures, Eclectus, African greys and a macaw before so I'm not new to bird keeping, and all my birds are happy and healthy but living with my mom at the moment with their mates.

This new small bird would be my companion, no mating because i would love a keeper. Or if I did get a mate I need something slightly smaller so I can house the two.

I'm not bothered about noise, but I am bothered about temperament and companionship. Cuddles and the bird being able to be both independent and loving. I know this is a big ask.

Which would you suggest? An why if you have experience? Thank you so much!
Hello

From my experience, having to many birds is not that easy, while they are baby is fine but ones they go on there 3 years or so it can become a real nightmare.

Already with your Electus and Macao it will be a big chalenge:green2:

Good luck

Sennies are great. not the cuddliest bird, but fun to watch when they are being silly. I wouldn't trade Rio for anything. She has her good days, very loving, but she can easily turn in to Godzilla birds in a second.:eek:

Sennies are great. not the cuddliest bird, but fun to watch when they are being silly. I wouldn't trade Rio for anything. She has her good days, very loving, but she can easily turn in to Godzilla birds in a second.:eek:

Sammie will take lots of scritches several times a day but she's not cuddly. She has her moments when I call her "pinchy parrot" and she plays on the gym instead of me.

can I change my mind??.....I have a quaker and truthfully I'm not very happy with her.
she's very funny, and beautiful but she sounds like a energizer sqwueeky toy that runs non-stop for sometimes 30 minutes or more....and is too loud for here.....are all females that way??

the other bird I would choose is a Senegal, or a meyers. Safari was super nice to me, never bit me, but had his moments when he wanted to be left alone or was cranky.
never a dull moment with a Senegal, that's for sure.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back