A Big Commitment: Choosing the right bird

Gorzugi13

Aug 14, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hello everybody!

I have recently decided that I want to bring a new companion into my life. I am just having trouble committing to the right breed. I do have experience with cockatiels and conures, though Im considering something a little bigger.

About me: I am an undergraduate student that will be matriculating into a DVM program next year. I currently work as a veterinary technician, and the majority of my experience is in the small animal industry. I am interested in raising and training a bird to get some personal experience with parrots. I may want to branch out and work with birds as well.

Pricewise: I can do anything up to the cost of an African Grey, that's not much of a concern for me. I'm willing to pay for the right breed.

Noise: It's important that it isn't a breed prone to screaming. I'm totally fine with some noise, it's a bird after all. I do live in a single family home, but have a roommate. He likes animals, but certainly isn't into the idea of an extremely loud bird. The blue crown conure we had when I was young screamed incessantly, that was too much. The Green Cheek was very chatty, but not bad.

Personality: I like birds with some personality. I also want to teach the little guy some tricks if possible. It would be nice if he/she was ok with more than one person. I'm willing to make an effort getting the little guy well-adjusted.

Attention: The only issue is that i will be away for hours at a time, at school. The parrot will get daily attention, but not for the entire day. I am willing to invest in many toys, foraging devices, etc and rotate them.

The breeds that I'm looking at now:
Mini Macaws
African Greys
Caiques
Pionus
Eclectus

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
Of that list, a Grey would be my choice, but that said, the bird will have it's own personality/traits, regardless of breed. Of course training and home life affect it as well, but there is no set model.

IMO I'd wait until after school, and be sure of your schedule/time availability, as most need at least a few hours a day of attention, and many need much more.

My vote is for eclectus, but maybe adopt an adult.

Part of the reason I say this is that they do well on their own. Don't interpret this to mean ignore them!! That means They have very feline personality, they want attention on their own time. Which bodes well for you being away constantly. My partner and I work for the same company, and it's a regular 9-5 (or often 8:30-6). He handles the fact that he's on his own for 13 hours a day perfectly fine. I think it helps though that he's in a cage that is 6'x4'x2', so plenty of space to occupy him.

And they are well known as one of the quieter of the larger parrots. I adopted him as a 6 year old with a great vocabulary. Initially there were some screaming as he got used to the routine and realizing his previous family wasn't coming to him. Once he got settled...nothing. We were just remarking last night how we haven't heard him do his horrid calling in a good while.

Their diet is an important consideration, as they really need mostly fruit and veg for their diet (non-negotiable). But that's pretty easily accommodated as there are bird mixes out there that consist primarily of dried fruit, to be used as the bad le diet in place of pellets/seeds. I give my Parker this in the evenings at bedtime. The rest of the time consists mostly a combination of fresh stuff (fruits, mostly) in the evenings and weekends when I'm around to clean up, and frozen stuff (veggies that won't go bad if I leave them out for 13 hours) on the weekdays.

Best of luck in your search! I know I was torn between the larger mini macaws (illigers) and eclectus. I landed on eclectus for their natural talking abilities (talking often equals less screaming because they get so much attention when they talk vs being ignored for screaming) and natural predilection towards gregariousness (less likely - though no guaranty - they they won't be one person birds).

Additionally, they are quite amenable to trick training. Of course, all this is superseded by the fact that each bird will have its own personality and generalities don't always hold up.

Last edited:
Simple answer.

First, do your research, starting with playing with a bunch of different birds, find the species you really love.

THEN find the bird that also chooses you...

Then handle them a lot, and train them well.

You've got a friend for life!

Not so hard when you do it that way...

Or you could just have Henpecked send you one... that works too! :D

Kiwi is as close to the perfect amazon as any bird I've interacted with in the past twenty years,,,,

If I may...I would like to interject my 2 cents in, not to deter you, but to maybe give you some other options to find what you are seeking:

Sooo, super early this morning, I ran across this video Parrot Confidential ~ Full Episode | Nature | PBS , not quite what I expected it to be. Loved it, truly touched my heart. Made me really think about my choice to include parrots into my life. The video is approximately an hour and very informative.

That being said, I was also pleased that almost all my birds have been rescues. Not from rescue facilities, but families in need. My most recent rescue and addition to our family has been DeRita a severely plucked Yellow Naped Amazon.

When I look at her, all I see is hearts, she is a joy beyond joys for me! Her original owner had passed away, the widowed wife didn't like her, hated her, was the term I got, a new family took her in but didn't feel they were doing her justice, had her approximately a year and that's how I have came to get her.

Our current Cockatiels were also rescued from a terrible situation where the boyfriend and girlfriend had a bad break up, he held the tiels "hostage" for over a year, sold a couple at a garage sale apparently, the two I have weren't chosen, he moved them out to the porch in the dead of winter and was going to turn them loose if they didn't stop screaming. I won't even go into detail of the condition of their cage.

My daughter found out about them and I said...I will take them. They are the sweetest little tiels! And Charlie, he talks up a storm!

Our Sun concure was adopted from an elderly woman who physically couldn't care for him anymore. He is by FAR the LOUDEST bird in our house!

Our Green Cheek Conure Frankin we did buy from a pet store, he was about 10 weeks old, stole our hearts, the rest of the birds I just listed came after him.

I love them all and each have their special place in our home and our hearts and I can tell you from experience that I wont ever go out and intentionally purchase a baby and "hope" that it grows up to meet the "criteria" on ones list. Somehow, they rarely do. But adopting a bird in need, often you get to see their main personality before committing. If you want a bird that talks, you will be able to find one that is already saying some words, rather than taking a chance at raising a baby that may do nothing but scream.

You can adopt either privately or through a facility, birds that are "through" their "puberty" phase...which for some parrots can last up to several years. One day those folks had the sweetest baby, and 4 years later... asking...OMG...why does he/she now want to viciously attack?

Soooo many parrots are rehomed several times within a few short years of their lives. I don't know for sure, but I believe a lot of that time they are re-homed during the time they are reaching sexual maturity and become more aggressive.

Okay, stepping off my soap box. I think adding a parrot into your life can be the most enriching experience ever and choosing the correct bird for you IS so important.

I just wanted to plant the seed of other areas you might try to look for your new companion.

It's very exciting to find the right one for you.

Good Luck in your search and keep us posted!

Toni

Can I chuck in a voice for IRN's?
I wanted a grey to begin with, but have always loved IRN's too and Henry came up for adoption. I know IRN's can be fickle, but if you know what you're doing from day one they're awesome. Henry can go to anyone, talks up a storm, is responsive to the clicker, and if I'm out for the day I leave a couple of foraging toys and he's sweet as. I can leave him with a pet sitter, and he doesn't sulk when I get home. His personality is gold and his pinny eye's just add to it :)

Just chucking it out there ;)

I have to agree with the 'go play with a lot of them and see how it feels' opinion. You can have an idea in your mind that seems great but the way it really fits together may be very different.

When I got Gilbert I was thinking maybe I would get a smaller bird like a GCC this time but as soon as I met the blue crowns, something just said "yes, that one".

I have a regret that years ago when my avian vet was breeding birds, he had a BFA who had stuck around WAY too long. He was not a baby anymore and it seemed no one was going to buy him. He became so used to it there. Anyhow, He took a liking to me on his own and readily came to me and wanted to play. He was offered to me for free but I lived in a small condo and said I really shouldn't. (I really should have, LOL).

Basically I like all the birds on that list each for different reasons.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back