10 week old Catalina Macaw....could he be staring to wean down?

taniaandkids

Sep 6, 2015
Jacksonville, Fl
Parrots
Catalina Macaw
Gator has not ate good today, he ate about half his 2nd feeding and half his 3rd feeding.
I have given him pellets to start playing with and he is crunching them like crazy (not sure if he is eating any). Also, gave him some fruit and sweet peas, but again don't know if he is actually eating any....
He seems to busy to eat and will not be still..,he is flapping his wings a lot and perching pretty good...could he be about to fledge?

The above post was from yesterday...Gator ate better today...his first feeding good, 2nd feeding about 100cc's, and just finished feeding him and he ate 120cc's...
The problem is getting him to be still, he is beginning to get soooo busy.....lol he is jumping in my lap....and beginning to give me kisses...

Any input or thoughts would be appreciated....thx

Last edited:
Gator might be getting ready for his maiden flight, yes, but it will be a good, long while before he'll be weaned. :) Big macs typically don't wean before they are 4 months old, many take 6+ months to be abundant weaned.

You can try cupping his head gently while you feed him with the other, in an attempt to keep him semi still while feeding him.

It's not uncommon for baby birds to get hard to feed when they fledge, but it doesnt mean they are ready to wean. It just means the hard part is about to begin. Read up on how much your specific species should be eating, how often, healthy weights, etc.

Well, Gator must be really close to fledging, he hasn't eaten his formal well all day.
He has been munching on pellets, fruits, and vegetables though.....not sure how much he is actually eating of it.....

Please continue to work hard to feed him. Somewhat like kids who don't want to sit still to eat their food because they would rather be playing, he still needs the food.

Most Reactions

Back