Why are my baby’s feathers so rough and burnt like ? I’m srsly concerned 😖

Bluey

Mar 12, 2024
Media
Parrots
Cockatiels
Ring neck
It’s my pet bird , I’ve have him since he’s born , he’s 6 now but now for past few months I’ve been noticing that his feathers are getting rough and burnt like , I don’t think it’s because of his diet as he eats almost everything other birds eat so I really wanna know what can I do for him to get better and healthy.❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• IMG_8498.jpeg
    IMG_8498.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8497.jpeg
    IMG_8497.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8493.jpeg
    IMG_8493.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 11

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
How often do you bathe him and what is his current diet?

OP
B

Bluey

Mar 12, 2024
Media
Parrots
Cockatiels
Ring neck
How often do you bathe him and what is his current diet?
He doesn't bath regurlary , I’m afraid he may catch cold ( as it’s winter here ) , should I bath him daily ? His diet , he eats almost everything , seeds , vegetables, fruits etc what do u suggest about his diet and his feathers ? Is his condition something I should be concerned of ?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
He doesn't bath regurlary , I’m afraid he may catch cold ( as it’s winter here ) , should I bath him daily ? His diet , he eats almost everything , seeds , vegetables, fruits etc what do u suggest about his diet and his feathers ? Is his condition something I should be concerned of ?
A daily bath isn't necessary. My birds bathe on their own, so I typically just put out some water and let them bathe themselves as they see fit. If your bird doesn't mind, then you can try misting him with a spray bottle every week or so.

I don't know much about IRN's, but his diet seems mostly ok. If you feed him a lot of fruit, it might be best to reduce his fruit intake to one or two times per week. Feed a lot of vegetables--a chop-based diet can definitely help a bird's feathers (it's definitely been beneficial to mine!)

A couple more questions:
Have there been any changes in environment?
Does he seem otherwise healthy?
Is he getting adequate sleep?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
When was his last molt? The feathers may just be nearing the end of their cycle so look a bit more rough.

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Very young birds are a lot more rought with thier feathers. They have not quite learned to care for them. My Sun Conure was this way. By time his first molt came around he only had one tail feather intact. The rest were all broken in half.
20191107_075958.jpg

Most Reactions