Which list of ingredients is better?

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
YUI0UI have been feeding a cage blend BUY it is a bit expensive so I have been looking for an alternative. Which list looks better?

LIST 1
Oat groats, Hulled millet, flax seeds, sesame seeds, buckwheat, sterilized hemp seeds, poppy seeds, carrots, apple chips, almonds, pumpkin seeds, red bell peppers, blackberries, banana flakes, strawberries, cranberries, chia seeds, milk thistle, dandelion leaf, chamomile, calendula, alfalfa

LIST 2:
Ingredients: Safflower, Oats, White Millet, Red Milo, Wheat, Bananas, Pumpkin Seeds, Buckwheat, Canary Seeds, Hemp Seeds, White Milo, Star Anise, Roasted Soybeans, Mung Beans, Lentils, Apples, Cashews, Coconut, Dates, Dehydrated Black Beans, Cranberries, Juniper Berries, Dehydrated Pinto Beans, Raisins, Flaked Carrots, Papaya, Flaked Peas, Fennel Seeds, Spearmint, Algae Meal, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Does the second mix get cooked or fed dry? I don't think they're supposed to have uncooked beans.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
YUI0UI have been feeding a cage blend BUY it is a bit expensive so I have been looking for an alternative. Which list looks better?

LIST 1
Oat groats, Hulled millet, flax seeds, sesame seeds, buckwheat, sterilized hemp seeds, poppy seeds, carrots, apple chips, almonds, pumpkin seeds, red bell peppers, blackberries, banana flakes, strawberries, cranberries, chia seeds, milk thistle, dandelion leaf, chamomile, calendula, alfalfa

LIST 2:
Ingredients: Safflower, Oats, White Millet, Red Milo, Wheat, Bananas, Pumpkin Seeds, Buckwheat, Canary Seeds, Hemp Seeds, White Milo, Star Anise, Roasted Soybeans, Mung Beans, Lentils, Apples, Cashews, Coconut, Dates, Dehydrated Black Beans, Cranberries, Juniper Berries, Dehydrated Pinto Beans, Raisins, Flaked Carrots, Papaya, Flaked Peas, Fennel Seeds, Spearmint, Algae Meal, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product.

Thank you in advance for your help!
I don't know about those fermented ingredients in the second one therefore I'd go with the first one, it looks less processed

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Another thing to look at, besides the ingredient list, is the analysis: protein, fat, sugar, etc. That might help with your decision!

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
Thank you Jcas and Vampiric_Conure. The second one has 13.5 % crude protein, 12% fat. I feel like the fat is too high? I don't know the nutritional analysis of the first one though.

bill_e

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I don't have an opinion on your ingredients but if you're in the USA I've found this online store to have great variety, fresh foods and reasonable prices.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Thank you Jcas and Vampiric_Conure. The second one has 13.5 % crude protein, 12% fat. I feel like the fat is too high? I don't know the nutritional analysis of the first one though.
That is pretty high fat; the blend I have for my Quaker is 6% crude fat. That’s a good amount of protein though.

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
I don't have an opinion on your ingredients but if you're in the USA I've found this online store to have great variety, fresh foods and reasonable prices.
Thank you! I'm not in the US unfortunately. I will have a look at it though and see if there is a comparable site in Canada. :)

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
That is pretty high fat; the blend I have for my Quaker is 6% crude fat. That’s a good amount of protein though.
Thanks! Yes I think I will go with the first one. Thinking over it, the second one seems to have a lot of sugar with the fruits and the bean thing concerns me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts