Urgent help cant go to vet

Toti

Apr 30, 2024
Parrots
Pied cocktail
Pied cocktail, got bit by a mouse, PC's leg started bleeding but it eventually stoped or i think it slowed down . The leg by looking at it i think the bones are broken , swallen for the colour part i cant tell because the dried up blood and PC cant stand on it. No vet is open right now or tomorrow so i have to do something at home i called the doctor and he told to put turmeric on it

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
Hey! So, if the bleeding has stopped, the emergency has passed and your bird should be OK for a few days until the vet can see them. A vet visit is still important, I think, given that the bite was from a wild animal and you don't know if it was carrying any diseases, but for now you should just focus on first aid--the immediate fear of your bird bleeding out has passed.

Your first priority should be cleaning the wound. Warm water or warm saline should be used to wipe away dried blood and any other debris. The only disinfectant I've ever been recommended to use on small animals by a vet is chlorhexidine, which has been provided to me by the vet, but which can be found over the counter (according to Wikipedia, here's some common brands: "Chlorhexidine topical is sold as Betasept, Biopatch, Calgon Vesta, ChloraPrep One-Step, Dyna-Hex, Hibiclens, Hibistat Towelette, Scrub Care Exidine, Spectrum-4 among others.") This is simply to clean the wound--you'll want to rise it with water/saline after cleaning in case your bird starts chewing their foot, it's not good to ingest.

I've never heard of turmeric for wound care, but a quick google search has shown me that it is effective and safe. It does seem like you should mix some distilled water in it to make a paste first, although its probably OK to apply it however your vet suggested that you apply it. Personally, I would just do as the vet says and use only turmeric--there are some other OTC safe products that you can use, BUT there's just as many that have toxic ingredients, so unless your vet gives you a specific product recommendation I'd just stick to what you know is safe, in this case turmeric.

Other than that, if you have a small travel cage with just one or two low perches, you can move your tiel into a temporary recovery cage. The idea is to give him less space to move around to encourage him to sit still and rest. He may not have a broken bone at all, I wouldn't make any assumptions right now while the leg is still very much in pain... after he's rested for a day or two, you can gently turn him upside-down in your hands and put your finger by his sore foot. Instinctually, he'll want to grip because he's upside-down, and if he's able to grip then nothing is broken. Don't do that today, though, just let him rest.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
If there's any hope of reaching avian veterinarian care, here are some resources. Barring these, maybe contact local merchants, breeders or clubs?

OP
T

Toti

Apr 30, 2024
Parrots
Pied cocktail
I took her to vet and they said that her leg(main bone) has shattered and given some drops to give her 3 days and not to move her she will heal herself but after 3 days we have to go again for checkup hopefully it will heal by itself and wont need to be ambuta

Most Reactions

Latest posts