My first day with a 3 month old African Grey

Conurefamily

May 2, 2024
Parrots
Conures
Dear concurefamily,

Thank you for your response. I thought red beans did have protein. However, if boiled eggs are safe, I'll try that. Thank you.
Sure, I cook for my dog and whatever meat he gets the birds have some, they just ate some pork....so spoiled. I get some info from you tube BirdTricks, I order their pellets the only pellets they will eat. They have some other good food their also.

Birdlover#1981

Apr 25, 2024
Dear concurefamily,

Thank you for your response. I thought red beans did have protein. However, if boiled eggs are safe, I'll try that. Thank you.
I had never had an African Grey they are my dream bird. It sounds like you are doing the very best you can for your Nyla and saved her from a bad place!! Having birds can certainly be a challenge but they are so worth it. Sounds like she is bonding with you and with all your family she will get a lot of attention. You're going to be a great parent....Best of luck to you and give Nyla a hug for me. Blessings :)

OP
Wa87

Wa87

Apr 23, 2024
Kabul, Afghanistan
Parrots
African Grey
Sure, I cook for my dog and whatever meat he gets the birds have some, they just ate some pork....so spoiled. I get some info from you tube BirdTricks, I order their pellets the only pellets they will eat. They have some other good food their also.
Thank you, I'll check out the YouTube channel. I wish pellets were available here.

OP
Wa87

Wa87

Apr 23, 2024
Kabul, Afghanistan
Parrots
African Grey
I had never had an African Grey they are my dream bird. It sounds like you are doing the very best you can for your Nyla and saved her from a bad place!! Having birds can certainly be a challenge but they are so worth it. Sounds like she is bonding with you and with all your family she will get a lot of attention. You're going to be a great parent....Best of luck to you and give Nyla a hug for me. Blessings :)
All birds are lovely and it's a great blessing for me and my kids that we got to meet Nyla. I can't express in words how innocent and loving she is. Thank you, and I'll surely hug her on your behalf. 🙂

Birdlover#1981

Apr 25, 2024
All birds are lovely and it's a great blessing for me and my kids that we got to meet Nyla. I can't express in words how innocent and loving she is. Thank you, and I'll surely hug her on your behalf. 🙂
Thanks so much....she is a lucky girl and so are you.

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
Thank you, I'll check out the YouTube channel. I wish pellets were available here.
Hi, you have a lovely bird and thanks to give her a loving home. Regarding pellets: on this forum it is considered as "must" mainly suggested by USA bird lovers but on other parts of the world pellets are not always considered as ONLY good type of food(especially not all pellets are good quality). Yes, so many sunflower seeds are not good but you can give her many other type of seeds AND lots of veggies, fruits, wild flowers, "weeds"..etc to keep her healthy. For sure only seed diet is not good either.

OP
Wa87

Wa87

Apr 23, 2024
Kabul, Afghanistan
Parrots
African Grey
Hi, you have a lovely bird and thanks to give her a loving home. Regarding pellets: on this forum it is considered as "must" mainly suggested by USA bird lovers but on other parts of the world pellets are not always considered as ONLY good type of food(especially not all pellets are good quality). Yes, so many sunflower seeds are not good but you can give her many other type of seeds AND lots of veggies, fruits, wild flowers, "weeds"..etc to keep her healthy. For sure only seed diet is not good either.
Hello,

I will surely add wild flowers and weeds to her diet. I was not aware of that. Thank you for your kind response.

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
Hello,

I will surely add wild flowers and weeds to her diet. I was not aware of that. Thank you for your kind response.
Be sure to check online , some of the plants, flowers can be toxic, though,.Tried to check what grows in your area, african marigold is safe for sure , clovers, hibiscus flowers, geranium,Pomegranate fruit. Tulips for example- not safe. Do your research please

OP
Wa87

Wa87

Apr 23, 2024
Kabul, Afghanistan
Parrots
African Grey
Be sure to check online , some of the plants, flowers can be toxic, though,.Tried to check what grows in your area, african marigold is safe for sure , clovers, hibiscus flowers, geranium,Pomegranate fruit. Tulips for example- not safe. Do your research please
Yes, before feeding her something new I always do a Google search to see if it's safe for her. Thank you for reminding me.

OP
Wa87

Wa87

Apr 23, 2024
Kabul, Afghanistan
Parrots
African Grey
Hello everyone, one thing I don't understand about Nyla is her behavior after eating food. She comes to me and sits under my hand. Then she raises her head towards the ceiling and she holds my fingers in her beak. Then she starts flapping her wings and bobbing her head. She makes a lot of loud purring like a cat, but much louder. It's similar to that behavior in the jungles, when chicks are being fed by her mother in the nest. I think she has to do it with me to suppress that urge she has at that moment. When she's done after 5 minutes, she'll become extremely affectionate and climb in my lap and stay there. Is that fine and should I let her do that?

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Dear concurefamily,

Boiled eggs (with the shell, but crunched up well with a fork, scrambled eggs, ideally without oil (use water), chicken, etc. Yes beans have protein but they are not ideal for parrots. The lentils are fine. Mix with some grains (buckwheat, barley, etc). Go look at the Diet forum and birdy bread and chop for ideas.

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
You can order TOPS for half the price and get the exact same product. But of course one supports "small business" and one supports "big business ".

Birdlover#1981

Apr 25, 2024
Thank you very much, I always get happy when I see bird lovers as owners of birds. Your bird is lucky to have you.
Thanks, though had to give my CBC back to the breeder she had gotten really hormonal and had bitten on the lips several times, and my hands. It has been so emotional for me and have cried so many tears. The breeder put her with a male Crimson Bellied Conure and they are joined at the hip. She is a great breeder in Dallas, I live in Tyler, TX (2 hrs away) has told me welcome to take both birds back. Have been so torn not sure how she would react, biting me, etc of course no one does. She will give me a Bourke Parakeet which are super birds and mellow and quiet and cuddly. Have not had a bird since 1st week in March and have been so lonely living alone! Will either be taking my baby Seren and her BF back or the Bourke after Mother's Day.
So glad you have Nyla such a beautiful girl!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts