Military macaw rescue

westa4376

Apr 28, 2024
Media
Parrots
A 10 y/o male military macaw called Mr. Gibbs
Hi, Iā€™m a new member and Iā€™d like to ask a question if anyone can answer it. I appreciate it in advance very much. I just adopted a 10 to 11 year-old male military macaw from a hoarders house who also chain-smoked and had several other animals, defecating and peeing in the house. Mr. Gibbs (my macaw) smells awful. Like smoke and very dirty dog. His previous owner also punished him by spraying water in his face. Iā€™ve managed to replace my clicker with a spray from the spray bottle and heā€™s no longer terrified of water. And now he just smells like wet, dog and wet cigarette smoke. Iā€™m not really sure how to clean him that wonā€™t hurt him. Any help is greatly appreciated. We are going to get him into a vet as soon as there is an opening but for now I just like him to be healthy and Iā€™m not sure that smell is terribly healthy, thanks for your time and your answers . Amanda. Ps. Attached a photo of my awesome friend

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpeg
    IMG_2246.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 10

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
First off, thank you for helping a beautiful bird in need, you're my hero of the day! :)

As far as getting him cleaner and less stinky, really I think it's just bathing as frequently as he'll allow, with just water, and time. There's no magic bird shampoo that I'm aware of, and if there's something marketed as such, it's not going on my birds, thank you very much!

I'm so sorry the previous owner thought it acceptable to punish him for ANYTHING, but I'm impressed that you've managed to get him past being afraid of water. None of my three are fans of the spray bottle, regardless of how I use it, but two of them LOVE to come in the shower with me. They have a shower perch that's not in the direct spray, and just get a good misting from what bounces off my back and shoulders. I make sure there's no soap or shampoo that gets on them, and I have some reactions to stuff, so everything I use for myself has no dye or scents. So, I alternate and they each get their shower every couple days. My grey hates being sprayed, splashed, or misted in any way, but he jumps in his big water bowl for a bath when the mood strikes. :)

So, regular bathing will likely promote Mr Gibbs preening better, which will help the process along. It will get better, I promise! Just takes a little time.

OP
W

westa4376

Apr 28, 2024
Media
Parrots
First off, thank you for helping a beautiful bird in need, you're my hero of the day! :)

As far as getting him cleaner and less stinky, really I think it's just bathing as frequently as he'll allow, with just water, and time. There's no magic bird shampoo that I'm aware of, and if there's something marketed as such, it's not going on my birds, thank you very much!

I'm so sorry the previous owner thought it acceptable to punish him for ANYTHING, but I'm impressed that you've managed to get him past being afraid of water. None of my three are fans of the spray bottle, regardless of how I use it, but two of them LOVE to come in the shower with me. They have a shower perch that's not in the direct spray, and just get a good misting from what bounces off my back and shoulders. I make sure there's no soap or shampoo that gets on them, and I have some reactions to stuff, so everything I use for myself has no dye or scents. So, I alternate and they each get their shower every couple days. My grey hates being sprayed, splashed, or misted in any way, but he jumps in his big water bowl for a bath when the mood strikes. :)

So, regular bathing will likely promote Mr Gibbs preening better, which will help the process along. It will get better, I promise! Just takes a little time.
That was what I thought but I thought if there was some magic bird cleaning strategy, you guys would know about it. Iā€™ve only ever owned cockatiels and that was when I was younger. This was kind of a spur of the moment adoption because I couldnā€™t fathom leaving him there. Iā€™m learning as quick as I possibly can and he seems to be doing a lot better than he was when he arrived. Iā€™m hoping to get him into a vet soon, but I donā€™t know how that works when heā€™s still so bitey. This forum has been a godsend though thank you so much.!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yep, just time and lots a water.

I suggest you read all the stickies at the top of our Macaw sub-forum, and any and all posts by birdman666 - dude KNOWs his macaws!

OP
W

westa4376

Apr 28, 2024
Media
Parrots
Yep, just time and lots a water.

I suggest you read all the stickies at the top of our Macaw sub-forum, and any and all posts by birdman666 - dude KNOWs his macaws!
I will thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts